Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tail of the Mouse

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Tail of the Mouse   Mon 25 Feb 2013, 8:42 pm

The other day I was doing the spark plug airing on Sue's Corvette and discovered that I had no black wiring coating to make the boots out of. I had Red and White that was it. Tons of craft wire but those coatings are painted on. I had two computer mouses hat had died and I thought "What's in there?". One on the mice had a USB plug on the end. The other the old round style plug. So I cut them open and found a wealth of wire.

The USB plug had 4 colors Grayish Black, Orange, Yellow and Grey.

The round one had Black, Red, White, Green and some none coated copper.

The wire dia all is about .025" in diameter and each copper strand is about .004" Seems to take paint well. It will look good for detailing those electrical boxes in race cars.

Just thought I would pass this on. I know I am not the first to discover this but I have never seen it written down before.

I am sitting here looking at a USB cord that I don't need for my Tom Tom GPS any more. I think I am going to cut it open. ;D

The other thing is you can buy these mouse almost any where for next to nothing. Cheaper than you could buy the stranded wire.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
tony557

PostSubject: Re: Tail of the Mouse   Mon 17 Feb 2014, 9:51 pm

The old computer mouse for chassie wire is a great idea Buck. I,ve been using it for about 4 year now for the air lines from compressor to air tanks then onto the brake chambers on the Big Rigs. It can also be used for fuel lines and the air lines for suzie coils/ gladhand pipes. In the case of a UK spec truck take a length and wrap it around a 4mm drill bit on the end you insert into the drill keeping the wire coils pushed tight together for about ten coils then bend both ends to 90 degrees with 5mm of strait wire then gently tug both ends to give a gap. I can post a few pic,s on how this is done if anybody is interested.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Tail of the Mouse   Mon 17 Feb 2014, 10:23 pm

I agree Tony. I have been using this stuff for a number of years also. I find that the wire diameter in the mouse cord and USB cords varies in size from about .025" to .038" so it's real easy top get to big and be out of scale. At least that is true on the 1/24th and 1/25th scale cars. Never built a big rig but I would imagine the same is true.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
tony557

PostSubject: Re: Tail of the Mouse   Mon 17 Feb 2014, 10:47 pm

To true Buck. I know exactly what your saying as I,ve had it happen to but luck was on my side that day as there was 2 different diameter wires in the same cord. But the last one I stripped every wire was red. Great for me and my use but for the poor soul who built it for it,s original use it must have been a nightmare to assemble everything in the correct order and get the mouse to work properly.
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Tail of the Mouse   Wed 19 Feb 2014, 9:30 am

tony557 wrote:
The old computer mouse for chassis wire is a great idea Buck. I,ve been using it for about 4 year now for the air lines from compressor to air tanks then onto the brake chambers on the Big Rigs. It can also be used for fuel lines and the air lines for suzie coils/ gladhand pipes. In the case of a UK spec truck take a length and wrap it around a 4mm drill bit on the end you insert into the drill keeping the wire coils pushed tight together for about ten coils then bend both ends to 90 degrees with 5mm of strait wire then gently tug both ends to give a gap. I can post a few pic,s on how this is done if anybody is interested.

Tony, I'd be interested in any help you can offer on the truck front. WIP is the GMC Astro by AMT, and I need help with the brake actuators & plumbing.

Cheers,

Chris
Back to top Go down
tony557

PostSubject: Re: Tail of the Mouse   Wed 19 Feb 2014, 8:43 pm

I will help you out as best I can Chris. But I will start a new thread on it in quick tips tomorrow rarther that busting Buck,s thread up.  .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tail of the Mouse   

Back to top Go down

Tail of the Mouse
Page 1 of 1