Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Creating tin foil panels and shells etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Creating tin foil panels and shells etc.   Sat 25 May 2013, 8:02 pm

Someone suggested that I do a tutorial on my method for this,so here is my slant on it.I use the type of foil that comes as a rip off top on dairy products,yogurts and so on so any time I get such a product I wash and save the top..

I will start off with the basics,a mini quarter panel and to start I press the tin down firmly with my fingers to get the basic shape.If possible I will tape the panel down to keep it secure but that's not vital but it is handy.

Then using a variety of tools I will burnish it down,the end of an Exacto knife is handy as are various tweezers for getting into nooks and crannies.

By this stage you should have a reasonable represention of the panel in question.

After a bit of fine tuning you have a complete Mini quarter panel.

Here is a fender I made for a Ford gun tractor,I just wanted some damage- say nudging a low wall on a turn etc.

Formed..

This was from an instant porridge mix...

The panel was fitted and carefully damaged (shut it Al....)
I tend to use an Exacto knife with the bde removed and gently tap it to form damage,I think on how the metal would behave in real life and take it slowly at this stage..

Then as it was a desert vehicle it was sprayed silver to represent bare metal,then given the salt treatment and sprayed a desert yellow.

Now for a D.D. car,it was a very nice Mercedes 500 SLC but the shell was warped so hi ho...

As I wanted this car to have some very hard hits it meant removing some of the interior so that it would crumple convincingly.

Then I created all of the outer panels.

The inner hood framing was a separate part and was handy as the hood could be crumpled and show the outline of the inner panel.

After deciding on the damage the original shell was cut away...

Then the door skins were attached with super glue,followed by the fenders and quarters and other panels.

At this stage it needs to be handled very carefully and stored overnight in a tupperware box so it doesn't get crushed by accident!

The same thing was done with the CitrĂ³en but the cutting was a bit more severe..

It like anything takes a bit of practice but in effect it costs nothing,plus you dont need to cut a kit till you have and are happy with the replacement panels so nothing is lost either!

If you have any questions feel free to ask away.
Back to top Go down
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Creating tin foil panels and shells etc.   Sun 26 May 2013, 2:49 am

Great tut! I wish my friend Pete was around to see this! It would have probably helped him with the 71 Charger that is now in my hands. Thanx for sharing!
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Creating tin foil panels and shells etc.   Sun 26 May 2013, 5:26 am

Excellent idea, and great 'how to"

Thanks for posting it.

Chris
Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Creating tin foil panels and shells etc.   Sun 26 May 2013, 1:53 pm

Nigel: Absolutely great tutorial... Many thanks for going to the trouble of posting it.

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Creating tin foil panels and shells etc.   Sun 26 May 2013, 4:34 pm

Very nice tutorial, Thanks for posting it. I will try this out for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/

PostSubject: Re: Creating tin foil panels and shells etc.   Sun 26 May 2013, 6:25 pm

No worries gents.
It is very versatile as you can just have a damaged fender or door on a daily driver up to a full blown wreck.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Creating tin foil panels and shells etc.   Thu 30 May 2013, 12:41 am

THAT IS A-MAZING! Thank you, and you're right, a thicker foil peel-off lid from a dairy product, sour cream, yogurt, cottage cheese, large size would work well. Great tutorial and an aid for all models with some wear and tear!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creating tin foil panels and shells etc.   

Back to top Go down

Creating tin foil panels and shells etc.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skid's Place :: Help :: Tutorials-
Jump to: