HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Revell 1950 Oldsmobile Coupe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Revell 1950 Oldsmobile Coupe   Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:17 am

Revell kit # 85-4254

I was excitied to here this kit was coming out. It made me think of Bob Paeth. He used to tell a story about working for Revell and they started to produce a 1950 Oldsmobile kit. Got the body mold done and then the rumor the AMT was also working on a 1950 Oldsmobile coupe showed up and Revell cancelled further development on the kit. Amt wasn't working on a kit so it was never produced. When I heard Revell was coming out with it I wondered if it's the same body mold.

Myself I am glad they came out with this kit. The body style is classis GM and the engine is a real early hot rodders dream come true. The kit is nicely done with a lot of well thought out surprises. Dash decals, metal tip for the exhaust, things like that. There are enough parts and decals to build it 3 ways right out of the box. With a little imageneering this kit is endless. I have already see pictures of one with the fastback from the Chevy Fleetline grafted to it.

On the bad side, not much. When I went to put it all together there was a fitment issue that the body didn't want to go down. I had test fitted it several times with no problems. Turns out the door panels hit the vent windows and makes it a tight fit. The front bumper didn't want to sit right when installed by the directions had to rethink it a couple times to get things lined up.

On a scale of 1-10 this one gets an 8.

Last edited by Zbuckster on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1950 Oldsmobile Coupe   Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:33 am

Nice kit, what is the fix for the 2 fitment issues ?? John
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1950 Oldsmobile Coupe   Tue 30 Apr 2013, 6:27 am

John the bottom of the vent window need to be trimed to allow the door panels to come all the way up.

The front bumper doesn't want to come up high enough and the bumper mounting lip needs to be trimed.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
craig betts

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1950 Oldsmobile Coupe   Tue 30 Apr 2013, 7:29 pm

yes it's a real nice kit I might go as high as 9.....just a little trim on the front vent windows,no biggy problem

here is the build I did

Back to top Go down
Dave from Pleasanton

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1950 Oldsmobile Coupe   Fri 25 Sep 2015, 1:51 am

Really slow on these comment, but I recently bought the Olds Custom.  

Very little difference between the two kits.  Would have been nice if Revell had provided all the parts needed to build a stock version in this kit but they didn't.  If you want to build a stock version you can't use the Custom version to do that.  The stock valve covers, lower A frame, and carburetor are missing.

Besides the parts below, the kit includes dual exhausts and Hydramatic transmission (rather than the manual on the Club Coupe version).

Those of you with hawk-eyes will see that you get two intake and exhaust manifolds so they can be used on the original Club Coupe.

One thing that is nice is that the pin stripes come in three colors so you could use the extras on some other build.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1950 Oldsmobile Coupe   

Back to top Go down

Revell 1950 Oldsmobile Coupe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1