HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Mon 08 Apr 2013, 7:54 pm

I have had a lot of people ask me how I make my grills look better and more realistic over leaving them stock. We'll I'm going to let you in on my secret. So buckle in and get ready for a journey into Tumbler's world. LoL

Tools Required are as followed:
Dremel with either a bur bit or new rough sanding drum.
Course, Medium, and Fine Mini Files (Roughly 1/4" wide or narrower files - Found mine at Northern Tool) - *Pictured are my 1/2" files
320 to 600 Grit Sandpaper (Wet and Dry will work)
Brand New #11 Xacto Blade
Flat Black Paint
Turn Signal Amber Paint
Thinner
Permanent Markers (Silver, Black, Orange - It will explain itself)
And/or Flat White Paint

First, you need to pick your subject. In this case I'm using the AMT Chevrolet C1500 Styleside. I tend to like some AMT Grills over Revell/Monogram's because they are nicer in detail. Granted Revell has some too, but not near as many as AMT. But this Tutorial is for both model makers and to increase your skills as a modeler. Let's begin.

As you inspect your subject at hand. Make sure the "slots" are deep and the piece is in sturdy shape. This one is perfect for this demonstration.

So to begin the process take your #11 Blade and scrape out the chrome in the deep recess. (If you plan to strip your grill of it's chrome then you can omit this process.)

Continue till all "slots" are done.

continued .....

Back to top Go down
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:12 pm

Step 2

Then flip your piece over. Here is where you will figure out how wide an area has to be removed from the back to uncover the "slots." And taking either your file or Dremel start at the edges to mark where to stop on both sides.

Then taking your Dremel start removing the styrene in between your marks.

*NOTE: DO NOT put too much pressure on your sanding drum! Remove a little at a time and let the Dremel do the work in small increments.

Then Sand and File to remove the styrene a little bit a time. Stop every 2 to 3 minutes to let the styrene cool and check your progress. You will see light start to come through the "slots."

*In the picture you can see the "raised or thicker areas" of the grill.

Sand and file with the medium file (I say file as it keeps the back area "flat" and consistent across the back of the grill) till you get to this point. This is where we will STOP.

Sand the area with 320 grit sand paper to expose a little bit more but not too much. Take your BRAND NEW #11 Xacto blade and start removing the excess plastic. Take your time! It's not a race!

If a piece doesn't want to come out smoothly, then take your fine file and remove a little bit more but not too much as you can at this point break the "ribs" of the grill. The grill will be very weak and thin at this point.

Continue till all "slots" are clear. Sand with 400 and 600 Grit Sandpaper to clean up the back of the grill and the "slots."

continued ....
Back to top Go down
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:25 pm

Part 3

Now that you have the "slots" open it's time to turn your attention over to detailing the grill. This is critical if you want something that looks similar to a 1:1 car but only smaller.

In this example The 1991-1998 C1500 Trucks headlights and turn signals need to look like they are separate pieces. I took some mildly thinned flat black paint and fine brush and filled in the crevasses.

Then I moved on to the corner lights/parking lights. I've seen what is behind them and they are not chrome. I scrapped the chrome off them. Took my Orange Permanent Marker and colored it in orange. Then took some Turn Signal Amber and went over the Orange Marker. Gives it a much richer orange but still a more realistic look at the same time.

You can use either clear epoxy, window maker by Testors, Silver or Flat White Paint to make your headlights look more realistic. This is where your artistic license comes in.

Then paint your emblems (if any), paint the backside of your grill either black or silver for added depth, and you are done. Comparing the two grills you can see what a big difference it makes to add these little details.

continued ....

Back to top Go down
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:41 pm

*** NOTE: This is jus' one example and a simple explanation of how to open up your grills on your models. Things will vary from subject to subject. Other examples are below.

And if done carefully it can be accomplished on a Resin Grill as well!

Hope this helps and inspires some of you builders out there to push your skills a li'l bit and try something new! Enjoy! And thanx for letting me share my knowledge with you.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:07 pm

That's a good tutorial Jason. Thanks for posting it.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Tue 09 Apr 2013, 7:37 am

Thanks from me too, Jason. It's in the "must try it one day file"

Cheers,

Chris
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Tue 09 Apr 2013, 9:21 am

You da man! Jason.
Gotta try that some time.
Thanks.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Tue 09 Apr 2013, 12:56 pm

Nice job !

:drunken:
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

Key words are practice and patience. Must go slowly. The painting idea is interesting, especially on the turn signals and headlights. Thanks a bunch, you've helped many of us up our skills! Back when I seriously built, having a dremel was a luxury, so I, like so many others, lived with poor grilles and added flat black to enhance the look a bit.
Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Tue 09 Apr 2013, 4:04 pm

Jason, great tutorial. Clear photos and description. This is on the "must do" list now. Thanks for posting this.
Back to top Go down
Mike C

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Fri 10 Jun 2016, 2:04 pm

I did that once to a grill. Got to go slow and careful.
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Fri 10 Jun 2016, 3:26 pm

Great work Jason, it sure takes a calm hand patients.

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   Fri 10 Jun 2016, 3:40 pm

Great tutorial Jason, thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing   

Back to top Go down

Realistic Grills - Opening and Detailing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1