Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Model Room Remodel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Model Room Remodel   Sun 07 Apr 2013, 10:36 pm

Ever since I bought this house I have had to work around this old furnace. My home was built in 1921 and the furnace has a build date of 1921 on it. I was told that it was originally a coal furnace. Was also told that the way it was done, back in the day, Was to pour the basement for the house, then lift furnace into place with crane, then build house. That all makes sense to me weather it's true or not. Anyway it eats up about half of my model building shop, so it's history. I have an old friend with some time on his hands and we are going to cut it into bite size pieces and haul it up the stairs "One Piece at a Time" . Then we will bust up the concrete mounting pad and then do whatever we need to do to make the floor level. Either new concrete or some of the self leveling epoxy they have out there now. This is really gonna help me get all my stuff in one place. Here is the beast.

You can see that it wrapped in asbestos so the proper disposal of it will be on the top of the list. I have moved all my shelves back up against the walls to gain as much room as possible.

Plus I have stacked stuff in the Den, Music Room and Bedroom.

What I want to be able to do is put all my kits, tools and junk yard in this space. I know this will slow me down a little but I am hoping not much. I tried to set things up so I could still get at what was need to carry on with my current projects and build at least 1 or 2 hours a day. Hoping to have this whole thing done in 2 or 3 weeks we will see.

Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Sun 07 Apr 2013, 10:37 pm

Thanks Bruce. I have both doors off of it now.I am thinking about using the large one to cover the hole in the chimney where the stove pipe goes. I got all the asbestos off of it yesterday and am ready to move on. My step son stopped by to help me hang a model cabinet. He looked my work over and we talked about cutting the thing up. He has a friend with a plasma cutter that he maybe able to barrow. That would be better than my cutting torch. Waiting to find out the outcome of that before I go any further.

I have things setup now so that I can still model some. At least finish the Showboat. The Challenger 1959 is buried somewhere in a box so it maybe awhile before I get back to it. I have been wanting to build the Winged Express and have a kit handy just in case this project runs long.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Sun 07 Apr 2013, 10:47 pm

Well it's been awhile since I touched base with everyone on this project. So this should get you up to date.

I took some cheap throw away drop cloths and sealed off the area with the furnace. Nothing fancy here just staples and duct tape.

Three hours later it looked like this.

I hung another drop cloth at the top of the basement stairs. Then went into the model room and closed the door. I hung my shop vac hose over some plumbing and went to town on the asbestos. Three hours and it was done. Cleaned ,doubled bagged and moved outside. The white spots on the old furnace is paint. At some time in this things life it has been painted Black and then White over the top of that. Then I soaked the almost 100 year old bolts and nuts in WD-40 for a couple days. Then I started to unbolt things. It came apart way easier than I though it would. The bolt heads and nuts were all square and course threaded. Some after about 2 hours work I had everything off I could unbolt. The pipe on the side and all the stuff on the top is not as friendly. I don't have a pipe wrench with enough throat to try to loosen the pipe fittings on the side. The stuff on top is sealed in with some type of sealer and will take some heat I think to get them loose.

This is the pile of stuff I hauled outside. 6 trips up them stairs with this dirty stuff wrapped in an old sheet. That kept the hallway carpet clean and my wife happy.

So I got everything to this point and had figured out where the cuts would be to cut it up. All I hadn't figured out was what to cut it with. I thought about dragging my "Gas Axe" down here but with a natural gas line right there feeding the working furnace I was a little reluctant to do that. Thought about drilling a series of 1/2" holes and then using a cut off saw to connect the dots. The today my Step Son shows up with a Plasma Cutter he borrowed from a friend of his. He says we have it for about 2 weeks. So one night this week are we will cut it up into pieces that can be carried and then I will start hauling this stuff up the stairs. After getting all the doors and chambers off of it I was surprised how light it is. I'll bet that 4 guys could pick it up and walk away with it. Problem is it's too big to go out the door. Anyway I am hoping that we end up with 4 pieces we will see. This is all going faster than I thought I will be back to building again very soon. Thanks for looking in all questions and comments are welcome.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Sun 07 Apr 2013, 10:48 pm

Post by Zbuckster on Mar 5, 2012 at 8:49amI was going to keep one of the doors but have changed my mind. I am going to sell it for scrap. I was willing to give it to someone if they helped but I think the size of it just scared people away. I had 3 different people look at it and say "Oh Yeah I can help you do that" with the understanding that they could have the metal as payment for their help. Then when it came right down to it I was the only one there and working. The others just made excuses.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Sun 07 Apr 2013, 10:51 pm

Well it's been 12 days since my last update. I was emptying my camera today, getting ready for the Portland Roadster Show tomorrow. I thought I would let you know where we are.

I thought it would be a 3 or 4 day project. I had a friend volunteer to help, he was out of work. Any way he split for the oil fields in North Dakota and I get to do it all alone. My Step-son as been a great deal of help. He went and borrowed a 50 amp Plasma Cutter, but it would not do the deed. IT would have worked but wasn't cost effective. This thing is made of 3/8" boiler plate. The tips on the plasma cutter are a two part affair. A bag of 8 of each part cost $80.00. That is a Snap-On cutter, well Blue Point. A set of tips would make a cut about 6 or 8 inches long and have to be replaced. Not only that it set off every smoke alarm in the house. 6 of them. So I didn't even try my cutting torch. A Sawzall with a 14 tooth per inch blade works great, slow but great. I kept running into unseen things and breaking blades. Finally I got a piece cut off of it so that I could see inside. MAN-O-MAN. I have never seen so much reinforcement and cross bracing. They just don't build them like this anymore. It was built in 1921, October 18Th 1921 it says. Any who now that I have it this far I can see it going much faster than before. I can look inside and avoid the cross bracing and inner tanks. Yes part of it is twin walled.

Rather than post a few pictures I am posting a link to my Photobucket Album. You can look at it and see what I see. I hope to have this done before the Community Build start April first. If not I will have to join the party late, or maybe cancel the build. Max will be moving and not building. That only leave Clay and myself. More on that later, let's see how this plays out.

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Zbuckster/library/rExtra%20Stuff/Dungeon/Model%20Shop%20Remodel
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:00 pm

Well, I was emptying the memory card in the Camera today. Getting ready for Model Fest. And all the pictures were of this monster. So here are the pictures as it sit today. I got it cut down to this.

That gives me a pile that looks like this.

I got it whittled down to this when I began to wonder if I could cut booth walls of the tank at the same time.

After doing some measuring I found the widest spot was about 4 1/2 inches. So I went to Home Depot and got some Diablo Blades. They are 9 inches long and it says they are for metal up to 1/2 inch thick. So with that blade I cut it almost completely in two in one day. Here are a couple pics. From the outside.

From the inside.

So that's where we are at. This has taken way longer than I thought it would have. I guess the real problem was me. I just over thought how simple this really is. Just get a saw and cut it up. Very old school way of doing things. I hope to have this done by the end of next week. I already have the shelves planned out. With stuff I have here all I will need to buy is two sheets of plywood. There is no weight really, just kits, probably 3/8 or 1/2 inch will be over kill. See in a week or so. Hopefully with some finished photos.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:06 pm

Well here we are. I started this project 2/18/2012 it's 4/3/2012 and it is totally outside.

The pile in the driveway looks like this.

So now the next step is going to be to seal the floor. There is a fine blackish-brown dust on the floor that you cannot get up with a shop vacuum or mop and water. I seem to be tracking the carpets up. So I am going to empty the room and paint the floor with concrete epoxy. The color is light gray. Then when that has set a couple days I will build some shelves and put everything back. The shop will be open again.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:24 pm

Well that Model Shop is done. Or as least as done as it will get. I might move a couple things around but this is pretty much the final configuration. I am happy with the way it turned out. I finally have all my kits where they can be seen and I know exactly what I got. There is room to grow the collection but I doubt that will happen soon. You never can tell though. Sue was over in Centrailia a couple months ago shopping at the Outlet Mall and she saw a sing for a Church rummage sale. She bought 28 kits for $80.00 that's only $2.85 a kit. Cheap parts if nothing else. Everything is grouped together by make and model. The build area is central to the room with everything pretty close. Yes those are new lights on the build bench. The others got broken during the remodel. I had these set back because I was going to build a separate Photo booth. Oh well maybe later this will continue to work fort quite awhile. I haven't counted kits so have no idea how many there are. Here are some pictures. This wall is all drag race stuff. Funny cars on the top shelf, door cars in the middle and dragsters on the bottom.

In the big center shelf is all large scale stuff and weird shaped boxes.

Everything else is in a shelf and grouped with it's like minded models. The work area is in the middle of the room.

I am not going to boor you a bunch of photos. If you want to see how it all came together you can look here.

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Zbuckster/library/rExtra%20Stuff/Dungeon/Model%20Shop%20Remodel

When it was all done the Showboat was still sitting there waiting for me to finish.

Now no more excuses I can go back to building at least a couple hours a day. Thanks to all those that followed along.Your comments have made the whole deal a lot more fun.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Sun 07 Apr 2013, 11:40 pm

Since I did all this I have changed a couple little things here and there. I silicone glued some pieces of Plywood to the wall and put my Ross Gibson and Revell engines on the wall. That gave me more drawer space for other stuff.

Revell Engines.

Ross Gibson Engines.

Then one day I was at Home Depot and they had this drill press on sale for 100 bucks. I bought one. The "table" it sits on is just scrap 2x4 that I had left over from the Grandkids playhouse.

What's really cool is it even has a laser X to show you where the drill will hit.

Another nice thing about it is I can put the different burrs for my Dremil in it and use it to sand or shape plastic. I think one of the best 100 dollar bills I ever spent. I plan to add a good quality X,Y table to it as soon as I find one, CHEAP.

Thanks for looking in. Questions and comments welcome.

Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:20 am

What a massive job!!!!!! It is sure a lot nicer with the old furnace gone though. If I had just known I would have been glad to store your stash for you while construction was going on. :lol: :lol:

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:41 am

Thanks John, You Da Man.
Back to top Go down
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:17 am

Yeah, in return his payment would be to own a few too. LoL Great job on making a bigger and better hobby area Buck. Looks great!
Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   Mon 08 Apr 2013, 4:27 am

Asbestos is a big issue here in Aus, hope you were careful considering the grandkids etc. I think you are a bit like me in that collecting models is a separate hobby from actually making them LOL. You have an amazing setup Buck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Model Room Remodel   

Back to top Go down

Model Room Remodel
Page 1 of 1