Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.   Sun 03 Dec 2017, 6:43 pm

Awesome work! The subtlety of the facial shades and tones is just beautiful!
Back to top Go down
itsonlyakit

PostSubject: Re: Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.   Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:45 am

"Thought of trying oils which are easier to blend but they take forever to dry so you can't win"

That is beauty of oils is the blendability. Have you heard of a 'food dehydrator'. It is an appliance that you can make chips out of bananas, fruit leather, etc. Maybe these items are not popular over there, mine has a single element goes up to 104 degrees F. Safe for plastic models. 12 hours in a dehydrator is equal to 3-4 days of oil paint drying on a figures face. Also good for curing acrylics. Can send a photo if you are curious. Cheers Eh!
P.S. have fun with Monty's ribbons.
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.   Tue 05 Dec 2017, 10:54 am

I have not thought of forced drying but thanks for the heads up on the dehydrator.(would welcome a photo),  I will take a look. I have seen a lot of figure painters place the paint on cardboard to extract some of the oil and they say that speeds up the drying time a little.
Very much looking forward to the ribbons lol.
Thanks for the interest.

G

Last edited by GaryDainton on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.   Tue 05 Dec 2017, 10:55 am

KatsZenJammer wrote:
Awesome work!  The subtlety of the facial shades and tones is just beautiful!

Cheers Kats.
Back to top Go down
dublin boy
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.   Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:51 pm

Dehydrators are used a lot it seems for drying enamel paint on model cars in the US Gary.

Never seen one for sale in a normal kitchen equipment electrical shop over here, mind you I never asked about one, the acrylic paint I use doesn't need it. they aren't expensive though, plastic thingy with a heater element thingy in it. lol
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.   Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:56 pm

May have a look around if I take up oils Shay. Would like to master acrylics first though, going to try a retarder medium to see if they stay wet enough to blend for a little longer, rather than using many intermediate shades between tones.
Back to top Go down
itsonlyakit

PostSubject: Re: Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 12:27 am

Attached are three fotos, hope this works as Photobuket and I are no more.

WoW it worked, amazing,
Foto 1 shows the Dehydrator bottom and element and electrical cord, no on/off switch. Plug and play.
Foto 2 shows the bottom tray and a 1:25 scale Camaro for size here. All trays have bottoms you have to cut them out with a motor tool, so you are left with plastic rings to create hollow height, except base tray.
Foto 3 shows assembled Dehydrator. Yes, Dublin Boy, enamels (either airbrushed or hand applied) do cure/dry faster with this appliance. My Dehydrator is very basic, bought it used at a Thrift store for $12.00 CDN, new ones with larger capacity, bells and whistles $100.00 CDN. Key issue is 104 degree F. heater element and the convection aspect.
I have all kinds of paints, inks, acrylics, enamels but favor oils (because I am old school) and acrylics dry too fast me, for skin, leather, animals and car interior vinyl, etc. I put most of my projects through the Dehydrator.
Cheers Eh!
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.   Wed 06 Dec 2017, 9:24 am

Thank you for that, very much appreciated. If I try oils I will certainly invest in one of these.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.   

Back to top Go down

Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4