Share | 

Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sat 27 May 2017, 4:58 pm

I always wanted to do one of these resin kits to see why the premium price.

It's a Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane used by the Austrians along the Adriatic coast in WWI.

Some parts look a little rough, but nice detail molded in.

No warpage here, and a little upward curvature at top wing tips - nice.

A whole lotta flash here, but it's paper thin.

Instructions could be better in showing attachment locations.  Decals are nice and dense.

The major problem I see is getting the struts in properly.  They don't indicate which go where, and the pairs are all slightly different.  They're meant to meet at a single point - wish me luck.

Mike
Back to top Go down
beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sat 27 May 2017, 6:53 pm

wish you the best of luck with that

i wouldnt know where to start

2009 A:72 B:31 C:4....2010 A:50 B:27 C:21....2011 A:45 B:25 C:2....2012 A:25 B:19 C:2
2013 A:25 B:15 C:2....2014 A:29 B:16 C:0....2015 A:28 B:21 C:1....2016  A:20 B:13 C:1
2017 A:12 B:2 C:11

Paul
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sun 28 May 2017, 1:02 am

Started with cleaning up some parts and some paint detail.

The two fuselage halves needed a bit of truing up for a good joint.  I sanded them flat against a wooden block with sandpaper.

Next step - cockpit parts cleanup.

Mike
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sun 28 May 2017, 4:29 pm

Neat plane build! As for the struts, one suggestion I have is to use ATG tape - adhesive transfer which is similar to two sided tape but only leaves a thin film of the adhesive itself. I use this a lot for test fitting and working out angles and all that. It's easy to remove and isn't really tacky which allows for adjustments yet will hold well enough to scribe reference marks on parts. Dunno if this is a viable option for the struts but I thought I'd share it. And of course there is always looking at reference photos of the real thing to see if that can be translated in scale.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sun 28 May 2017, 5:28 pm

Thanks, Kats. I'll have to check it out. It says they sell it at Hobby Lobby.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sun 28 May 2017, 5:48 pm

Started removing flash from some parts yesterday.  Ended up breaking two of the fine float supports.  Luckily they can be replaced with wire.  The flash itself isn't the problem - it's removing the part from the big chunk of resin it's attached to.  Just have to be a little more careful now.

Anyway, I did manage to get a couple of pieces together and painted.  They look rough in the closeups, but those parts are barely visible.

I know the belts should come over the sides of the seats, but I had these in stash that were damaged from a previous build and were on the short side.

Mike
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Tue 30 May 2017, 6:22 pm

After block sanding the mating surfaces, the fuselage halves went together perfectly with almost no need for filler.  Wings and tail section were also a perfect mate.  All looks good in primer, now.

Painted the motor, also.

So far it's going together nicely, but I still dread working on the 12 struts as they will come together in this unique fashion.

Mike
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Tue 30 May 2017, 9:36 pm

Interesting kit, the struts may be brittle, good luck popcorn
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Tue 30 May 2017, 10:56 pm

Nice one Mike and so tiny too.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Wed 31 May 2017, 11:21 am

Cool looking old plane !

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Wed 31 May 2017, 4:30 pm

GaryDainton wrote:
Interesting kit, the struts may be brittle, good luck popcorn

Struts are Ok, but the little resin rounds they provided to mount these floats snapped.  Used thin wire instead.

Also painted the plywood hull Desert Sand as a base.  I'm goinng to try a Burnt Umber wipe-on antique wash I got at the craft store.

Mike
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Wed 31 May 2017, 7:46 pm

Great idea with the wire, its looking really good. 
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Fri 02 Jun 2017, 6:38 pm

The burnt umber wipe-on works pretty good.  I used a soft brush to get the grain lines.  I wish Icould have gotten them a little finer, though.  From afar it looks better.

Tried brush painting the tail section with enamel and it looked OK.

Thanks for looking,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sat 03 Jun 2017, 11:31 am

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sat 03 Jun 2017, 1:57 pm

Another bit of work done here.  Got the wings painted and decals applied. Only one problem - I painted the tail section surfaces and then realized they're painted red and white!  OOPS !  Layed down three coats of Tamiya clear before decals. Choroszy decals are very nice and have great color density.

Mike
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sun 04 Jun 2017, 5:33 pm

The paint looks great! It's coming together very nicely. I agree with your choice to go with wire for the struts, much easier than dealing with thin, easy to snap bits of plastic or resin.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Tue 06 Jun 2017, 12:47 am

A little more done here.  Instructions don't really identify unique parts and the resin parts aren't numbered, also, it sometimes vague as to where to place things exactly.

The picture prior to this one didn't show the struts or top wing attached, and now they complete.  The 4 pairs of struts are all slightly different, so there's a lot of experimental fitting to see what matches.

Also there's no indication of how far forward or back the engine mounts on the supports.  But it's on.

Moving on,
Mike
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Tue 06 Jun 2017, 8:47 am

Looking really good Mike.
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Thu 08 Jun 2017, 1:59 am

Those instructions sure leave a lot of stuff out. Looks like you're handling it, though, and the struts look like a 'simple' matter of trying (and rejecting) different combinations. The engine looks great as well.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Thu 08 Jun 2017, 11:42 am

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sat 10 Jun 2017, 8:35 pm

Well, I got the engine platform installed.  

Figured out the bottom pairs of struts and installed them.  Added BMF for the jig that connects all of them.

The big question now is where does the upper z-bar strut attach.  It should mount between the motor mountings, set the top wing directly over the lower, and have the diagonal pass in the gap between the exhaust pipes.  Yeah, easy!

Getting the exhaust pipes aligned is easier said than done in this scale.  I think I'll redo this by attaching the six pipes to a piece of flat styrene then attach the assembly onto the engine.

Also got the little hauling carriage finished.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sat 10 Jun 2017, 11:19 pm

You are doing a great job Mike and the wood grain looks terrific.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
GaryDainton
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:57 am

Brilliant progress Mike, its looking great.
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Sun 11 Jun 2017, 11:19 pm

Looking great! The wing struts look good, the BMF really adds that pop. And best of luck with the exhaust pipes.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   Fri 16 Jun 2017, 7:03 pm

New exhaust pipes made from aluminum tube.  They're a lot straighter and more even looking than the old ones.  

Decided to abandon the upper z-bar struts for individual pieces.  No matter how I positioned them the diagonal would not fit between the exhaust pipes.  That allowed me to mount the four upright struts next to the engine that allowed the mounting of the top wing.  Then placement of the upper wing strut V could be made. The exhaust is painted and mounted.

It'll make a good shelf item, but a little inaccurate.

Thanks for looking,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72   

Back to top Go down

Hansa Brandenburg CC floatplane - Choroszy 1/72
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next