1966 Chaparral 2E

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Fri 03 Mar 2017, 5:48 pm

Instead of going back to one of my stalled builds, I decided to start another one.

I'm kind of ready for a different kind of build after the intensive Comet drag build.

This is an old IMC kit I found on eBay. It was from an estate sale and somehow I ended up with it for less than $25 including shipping.

The instructions say the engine is a 427 which would be a big block Chevy. The engine is sorta shaped like a V8 with the front cover/water pump looking Chevyish and the oil filter location looking Chevyish.
The heads and valve covers, not so much...
The "carbs" are kind of weird looking and the kit intake manifold is made up of a flat piece to cover the "valley" and a couple of pieces that go against the heads to hold the "carbs"

The spacing of the "carbs" looks like a big block but the spacing of the exhaust headers looks more like a small block Chevy.

The only reference pictures I can find of the engine of the Chaparral 2E are of Jim Hall's car and his car had a small block 327 in it. (his favorite engine displacement by the way according to the internet)
Although the big block car was not a winner because the small chassis could not handle the extra torque of the big displacement ZL1. I want to build it with the bigger all aluminum 427 big block.

So I don't have any reference pictures of the cars with the big block. So since I don't know what it looked like few other do either and that kind of gives me some artistic license. I am going to paint the engine silver like its bare aluminum and the valve covers Chevy engine orange to break up all the silver. The 2E had and aluminum chassis that was bare metal. The body panels were fiberglass.

I have no idea what the carburation was on the big block cars. The small block Hall car had 4 Webers. Big block McLarens of the same era were injected but I am going to use Webers on this build. Like I said, I don't have any info to contradict this choice and like most race cars, the configuration often changed from race to race.

So if anyone says "Hey the 2E big blocks didn't look like that!" then please send me the reference pictures you have so I can use them...

And now the pictures of the build...

Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Fri 03 Mar 2017, 6:43 pm

Interesting build Mitch, wish I could have a couple on the go, I'll follow along. popcorn
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Fri 03 Mar 2017, 7:39 pm

Don't know if you've seen this one, Mitch.  The pics showing the motor show only four rocker cover bolts like a small block.  Hope they help.  Also, the text says the motor was an all aluminum small block.

http://www.chaparralcars.com/2e.php

Found some more pics. This one definitely looks like SB rocker covers. Lots of nice pics.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/chaparral-2e#16
Back to top Go down
dublin boy
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Fri 03 Mar 2017, 9:28 pm

Any Chaparral being built is always good news Mitch.

Jim Hall was up there with Colin Chapman as an innovator in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Fri 03 Mar 2017, 9:52 pm

RetiredMike wrote:
Don't know if you've seen this one, Mitch.  The pics showing the motor show only four rocker cover bolts like a small block.  Hope they help.  Also, the text says the motor was an all aluminum small block.

http://www.chaparralcars.com/2e.php

Found some more pics.  This one definitely looks like SB rocker covers.  Lots of nice pics.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/chaparral-2e#16

I do have those Mike but thanks just the same.

Chevy small block heads have the intake ports siamesed together and then the two center exhaust ports are siamised together where as the big block heads are more symmetrical with the ports being spaced evenly.

Because of that you either have to cross ram on a small block or use those funky Y shaped adapters to use Webers. The big block has ports spaced well enough so that the Weber venturis line right up... You know like the excellently designed Ford big and small block heads...

I didn't want to have scratch build those Y adapters, so a little bit of laziness is contributing to the use of the big block Chevy... And a Ford engine wouldn't be right in a Chaparral, even if it would of made it a better race car...

Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Fri 03 Mar 2017, 11:53 pm

I've wondered about this kit Mitch so I'll be following along. Nice work so far.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Sat 04 Mar 2017, 1:22 am

I'll be following this one too, as I have the Union model of it.

popcorn
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Sat 04 Mar 2017, 1:23 am

Go Mitch!

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Sat 04 Mar 2017, 3:08 am

I agree Shay, I don't collect kits. I collect built models.

Its really a great kit Al. It has the same issues of the similar kits of its era namely the lack of engine detail. But my goodness the chassis is engineered well. The fit is outstanding. I am posting this from my phone so no pictures with this post but I have the body panels balance together and it is a gorgeous car. So tiny. It was basically an engine with four wheels, a seat and a wing.

I'm almost positive the Union is a rebox of the same kit Mike.

Thanks Curt. No real ones to work on this summer so living vicariously as a race car builder through model cars...

Last edited by Speed Racer 65 on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Sat 04 Mar 2017, 10:47 am

It was basically an engine with four wheels, a seat and a wing. wrote:

What more do you want? LOL That was Colin Chapman's basic premise for his car back in the day.

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Sat 04 Mar 2017, 8:04 pm

I didn't know that about small vs big block Chevys. Thanx, that kits is a remarkable creation, retailed new for $2, or maybe $2.25 U.S. and was an incredible bargain. Too bad the company (IMC) didn't issue a lot more back then.
Back to top Go down
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Mon 06 Mar 2017, 1:25 pm

I was able to get the body work done this weekend. The usual stuff, filling sink marks, pin marks and filling seams.

I did make one modification, the part that sticks up behind the drivers head is open and has screen to let the air out. The kit has this area solid. I cut out the molded in "screen" in the other areas on the rear panel and I am going to replace it with PE screen that is supposed to be for tank models. I think it will look a lot better with the real screen.

I am going to have my work cut out for me on the wing. Its make up of six pieces and for how well everything else fits together these parts look like they were made by three different people and they never talked about it before the mold was made? Looking at reference pictures I have I am not sure what they modeled it after.

The chassis on the 2E was sheet aluminum. So where I thought it would look the best and where it might get handled the most as a model, I laminated those pieces with big sheets of BMF. I lightly scuffed it to look like aluminum. The rest of the sections I painted with a cheap "chrome" paint from a Wal-Mart or somewhere. I like the looks.

I painted the seat piece then realized it didn't have the seatbelt cut outs. So I will need to re-shoot it.

The mock up has me very anxious to get the body painted and assembled.

I am still sorting out which tires to use. The kit tires are a little tall and too skinny IMO.

I have be very careful with the instructions, This kit is very old.

Here are the progress pictures.

Back to top Go down
disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Mon 06 Mar 2017, 2:08 pm

Cool build....I liked IMCs kits shame there not still making stuff by them....I have been after the Touch Tone Terror kit for many years now.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Mon 06 Mar 2017, 2:29 pm

Like all that aluminum work, Mitch. Nice.

Those instructions look like a lot of people have opened them up, looked at the parts and changed their minds. I know I did on the multiple body part 48 Ford Convert by IMC. LOL
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Mon 06 Mar 2017, 4:52 pm

Great start and a nice kit indeed! Looking forward to spectating this one popcorn
Back to top Go down
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Thu 09 Mar 2017, 12:48 pm

Still plugging away. Painting bits and pieces, sanding pin marks and sanding off the molded in Dezus fasteners to make way for PE ones later.

Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Thu 09 Mar 2017, 1:19 pm

This really coming along well Mitch, great mods on the added detail.

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Thu 09 Mar 2017, 2:28 pm

I agree with Curt.

BTW.... there is one on UK ebay right now and he is asking GBP185.45 + gbp4.54 shipping if you are interested!!!

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Thu 09 Mar 2017, 6:19 pm

Great work thus far. The kit wheels are really nice too. One comment, the screening mesh you show looks a bit coarse. I believe hobby shops and web sites have finer mesh screening (brass) that model railroaders use. Best to you in progress!
Back to top Go down
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Thu 09 Mar 2017, 6:27 pm

Skid wrote:
I agree with Curt.

BTW.... there is one on UK ebay right now and he is asking GBP185.45 + gbp4.54 shipping if you are interested!!!

What a bargain! You should get two for that price!
Back to top Go down
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Fri 10 Mar 2017, 1:54 pm

I worked on the engine a little last night, wired the distributor, added fuel lines.

The reference pictures of the real car show a small tank mounted to the roll bar hump that is part of the cooling system.
The kit does not supply any parts to go there nor does it show a part there. I dug around the parts box and found something I thought would work, filed two notches in to fit to the roll bar and still let the bodywork fit. I touched up the filed areas with Molotow and then added some mylar woven elastic craft cord for braided hoses from the water pump to this new tank to the larger water tank in the back of model. I am sure the plumbing is wrong but at least it has something. I don't think I am going to try and tie in the radiators though.

I am going to stop by a hobby shop today and get some tiny brass tubing to make the main jet venturies for the carburetors.

The kit exhaust is a little unrealistic and is spaced for a small block Chevy head. I will be replacing them with scratch made ones. I am making the primary tubes out of solder and using the kit collectors and secondary pipes. I will have to drill out the ends of the secondaries.

I used some first aid cloth tape to make the seat pad. I tried to tone down the gloss with some flat clear but it's still too shiny. I will try to dull it down some more before I add the harness.

Back to top Go down
dublin boy
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Fri 10 Mar 2017, 6:20 pm

Great job so far on a not so great kit Mitch.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Fri 10 Mar 2017, 7:10 pm

Engine is VERY impressive sitting in the structure! You're right about the headers, they are very visible and it makes sense to try to get them looking realistic. The little tank on the back firewall may have been a filler/overflow tank for water. Others here know more than I about them.
Back to top Go down
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Fri 10 Mar 2017, 7:55 pm

harron68 wrote:
Engine is VERY impressive sitting in the structure!  You're right about the headers, they are very visible and it makes sense to try to get them looking realistic.  The little tank on the back firewall may have been a filler/overflow tank for water. Others here know more than I about them.

Thanks, I have to be careful about putting too many do-dads on the engine though because the bodywork runs close to the engine.

Yes the high little tank is an expansion tank and also had the radiator cap on it. I am sure it made filling the double radiator cooling system much easier. Now as for the larger water tank in the back, I haven't a clue what that was for. Extra capacity I suppose.

The other tank in the back is the oil tank which I know was for extra capacity and to feed the dry sump system.
Back to top Go down
Art Laski

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   Sat 11 Mar 2017, 6:02 am

Great subject and I like what you're doing with it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1966 Chaparral 2E   

Back to top Go down

1966 Chaparral 2E
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next