Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Limelight on..........Katszenjammer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
beowulf

PostSubject: Limelight on..........Katszenjammer   Fri 26 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm

Real Name: Katsunori Kuroshima (Kats is much easier for everyone)

D.O.B.: January 27, 1967

Place of Residence: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Occupation: General Maintenance with the Granville Island crew.

Interests or hobbies besides modelling:

2D and 3D art, science and exploration, SF/Fantasy/Speculative fiction in all media, cooking (Italian, Indian, Mediterranean), a wide range of music (Rush fan alert), Yoga, existential philosophy (a fancy way of saying 'I think a lot'), keeping my cat happy and Baseball.

Granville Island crew??...., would you care to expand on that a little please?:

Granville Island is a popular destination for tourists and locals as it features a unique mix of industrial, commercial, artistic and even a little residential stuff glommed onto a landfill 'island' which used to be primarily industrial (boat building and such). As part of the maintenance crew I perform a wide variety of tasks including, but not limited to, waste disposal, recycling collection, setting paving stones, painting anything that needs it, maintaining irrigation systems, replacing bumper stops and bull rails, operating forklifts, scissor lifts and boom lifts as well as compactors, pressure washers, leaf blowers, angle grinders, ripsaws, helping maintain the water park and water slide ... and helping lost tourists (I could go on, lol).

Katszenjammer is an interesting alias. Would you care to share a little about the history behind this?:

Given that my name is Kats I've always had other nicknames deriving from that. Kats Zen Jammer came to me when I was making up a gmail address - I liked the connection to the Katzenjammer Kids and also the play on words, 'Zen Jammer,' which seems like a contradiction in and of itself.

When did you build your first model and can you remember what it was?:

I don't recall my age but it was definitely a snap-kit and if I remember correctly it was a spaceship of some sort, maybe (just maybe) that old glow in the dark generic starship with the big bay doors.

What sports do you play or watch:

I used to do stuff like frisbee, badminton, a little baseball (beer league stuff), swimming and karate. Then my back went out so my sports are enjoyed vicariously. As a Canadian I watch Hockey but not fervently. Baseball and Footie also hold my interest, but I openly admit I'm an Olympics binge-watcher and somehow I manage to remember the rules to all the different events I'm into, lol.

What type of music do you favour and who are your favourite artistes?:

I can enjoy just about anything but 'experimental improvisational' Jazz always throws me off. My favourite artists are, in no particular order, Mozart, Bach, Django Reinhardt, Stephan Grapelli, The Police, Concrete Blonde, ABBA, Frank Zappa, Dead Kennedys, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, The Beatles, AC/DC, King's X, Metric, Shawn Colvin, Robert Johnson and Rush. Of these I am a Rush fanboy to the core.

Which are your favourite foods and drinks?:

Generally Italian and Indian (because for me Japanese cuisine is what I ate at home) and specifically I have a deep need for regular doses of Pasta Alio Olio and Lentil Daal with heaps of basmati rice. I no longer drink alcohol due to allergies but I occasionally have tastes of milady's wine if it's particularly nice. Back when I could drink I was mostly a beer guy and there was also dark rum, loved that stuff.

Who is your favourite author and what genre of fiction do you favour.?:

I don't have a single favourite but my top three would be Patrick O'Brian, George MacDonald Fraser and John Varley. My core genre could be called Speculative Fiction which is a way of glomming SF/Fantasy/Weird all into one catch-all.

Thinking of famous people, who would you most like to meet (past or present) and what would you like to ask or say to them.:

That's a tough one so I'll go with my top two which are Buckminster Fuller and Antonio Gaudi. To each I would say, "Thank you for changing the way we think about structure and form."

Marooned on a desert island which luxury item and which essential item would you take with you and why?? (No means of communicating with the outside world is permitted):

The luxury item would be a solar charged, outdoor rated music player with a minimum 16 GB capacity loaded with selections from my personal library. The essential item would be something that made clean water, one of those filtration/osmosis devices.

If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be and why would you like to go there?:

I actually dislike travelling, but if I got the opportunity I'd like to visit the Tuscany region of Italy. Why is because that's where I get a lot of my inspiration for my amateur culinary exploration.

best childhood memory:

Riding my bike on a summer evening, knowing that I didn't have to worry about school, with money in my pocket for ice cream treats.

if you could witness any event of the past, present or future, what would it be?:

I've actually thought about this a lot and the thing I'd like to see is the re-opening of the Straits of Gibraltar about 5.3 million years ago, from a safe vantage point of course. The Straits had closed about half a million years previous and in that time the Med had mostly dried up. When they re-opened it refilled the Med ... I figure that would be worth a few photos and vids, lol.

How many built models do you have in your collection, which are your favourites and why?:

At this moment only two, a Hispano Suiza from the 1930's in 1/24th and the re-built Cutty Sark (renamed the Dame Tisane) which was the 4 year plus project which got me back into scale model building. My favourite would have to be the Dame in that she's an example of what I can accomplish with perseverance and tenacity.

Which are you favourite films?:

That's a tough one but I'd have to say Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan, The Great Escape, The Lord of The Rings trilogy, The Hundred Foot Journey, Life of Pi and The Incredibles.

What is your favourite car, bike or plane?:

Favourite car is '65 - '67 era Mustangs (pre-Mach One/Fastback style), the bike would be the Vincent Black Knight and the plane would be the P-38 Lightning because it's so unusual (a close second would be the P-51 Mustang).

If you could change something about our hobby, what would it be and why?:

If I could snap my fingers and change things I would create way more enthusiasm throughout the population, especially among women, which would, in turn, result in an increase in 'infrastructure support' like hobby stores, clubs, exhibitions and availability of material and equipment.

People involved in our early lives often have the most influence upon us. Would you care to tell us who that person was for you and why?:

I don't remember his name but he seemed ancient to me when I was a kid, an elder craftsman who first kindled my interest in scale models with his amazingly detailed railroad dioramas. This guy was a dedicated maniac, like so many railroad enthusiasts, and his massive dio's entranced me for hours. Thanks to him I got started in the world of scale model building, representational art, craft building and so many related things.

Finally, is there anything else you would like to add?:

I'd just like to take a moment to thank Everyone who keeps this forum going and also I'd like to apologize if I don't post/comment on a regular basis - this isn't from lack of interest but rather a lack of time to go through the threads as carefully as I would like. And a big high five to all of us who keep the flame burning, scale model building is something that has existed for longer than we can remember and will continue to exist as long as there are those who love to build small things based on big things.

2009 A:72 B:31 C:4....2010 A:50 B:27 C:21....2011 A:45 B:25 C:2....2012 A:25 B:19 C:2
2013 A:25 B:15 C:2....2014 A:29 B:16 C:0....2015 A:28 B:21 C:1....2016  A:20 B:13 C:1
2017 A:12 B:3 C:12

Paul
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on..........Katszenjammer   Fri 26 Aug 2016, 9:44 pm

Brilliant interview Paul.
Great to get to know you better Kats. 

Cheers Guys. 
Back to top Go down
Mr Hirakawa
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on..........Katszenjammer   Fri 26 Aug 2016, 9:54 pm

Pleased to meet you.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on..........Katszenjammer   Fri 26 Aug 2016, 10:45 pm

Great interview guys and nice to know more about you Katsunori.  

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on..........Katszenjammer   Fri 26 Aug 2016, 11:38 pm

YOU are a very interesting man, judging from the interview. Thanks for your interest in models and assorted culture. I'm thankful for the younger blood here.
Back to top Go down
disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on..........Katszenjammer   Sat 27 Aug 2016, 1:55 pm

Very nice Kats....good to get to know you better and who you are you likes ,etc. Funny how many of us share the same interest in some things...maybe the world is not such a big place after all...?
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on..........Katszenjammer   Sat 27 Aug 2016, 5:13 pm

Excellent interview. We don't live that far apart. Maybe we could meet up some time at a Model Show half way between us. Like the Marysville show, I think it is February.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on..........Katszenjammer   Sun 28 Aug 2016, 8:10 am

thank for letting me interview you Katz, always great to know a little of the person behind the name

2009 A:72 B:31 C:4....2010 A:50 B:27 C:21....2011 A:45 B:25 C:2....2012 A:25 B:19 C:2
2013 A:25 B:15 C:2....2014 A:29 B:16 C:0....2015 A:28 B:21 C:1....2016  A:20 B:13 C:1
2017 A:12 B:3 C:12

Paul
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on..........Katszenjammer   Sun 28 Aug 2016, 6:56 pm

It's always nice to become more involved in a community of like minded individuals and previous Limelight profiles have helped me learn more about the others I share the forum with. I'm happy to have had the chance to join in on the fun and let folks know a bit more about me. Cheers to all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on..........Katszenjammer   

Back to top Go down

Limelight on..........Katszenjammer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1