Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Tue 14 Jun 2016, 6:23 pm

First of all I will explain what materials I have used,the tin foil is mostly a by product of weekly shopping and can be rip top foil from a container of butter,cheese or whatever has a sealed foil top.I have also used the thicker foil from a oven ready meal,just remove the contents and cook them in something else and you have a nice thick bit of foil. :D

The rip tops usually have dimples in them,but these are easily rolled out and the foil doesn't need to be perfect as it will be portraying a section of damaged metal anyway!
I start by laying the foil on the part to be replicated and using my fingers just press it onto the part so that it has the basic shape,it helps if you tape it on so that it doesn't move around now..

Then using various tools I form any lips and swage lines and door shuts etc,I like the rounded end of tweezers and the round end of a knife handle for this.

By this stage it should be looking like the panel underneath.

Once you are happy with the look of the part/panel it can be removed carefully,do bear in mind that it is FRAGILE!! (If not to be used straight away I dump them in a plastic container so that I dont crush them by accident.. :roll: )

I will show how I converted a Revell Mercedes 560SEC into a banger.
Firstly the bare plastic shell.

As I wanted this model to portray a very hard side impact the interior had to be partly cut away and replaced with tin foil.

Using the methods shown I made new front and rear wings,the wing at the front of the car is is an oven ready meal foil btw..

The revell bonnet had a separate subframe so once I made a new bonnet it was superglued in place,that way the bonnet skin could be 'crushed' down to show the outline of it.

I also made doorskins,these extend into the front wings and rear 1/4 panel so that the wings fit over the door but still show the door shut lines.
Then it was a case of deciding how severe the damage would be and therefore cutting away the styrene from these areas,the result was this....

Then it was a simple enough build up of the new panels using superglue,the doors went on first.

Front wings.

Rear quarter panels.

The corners of the boot floor were replace too as in the real world the sides or rear of the boot would compress in an accident too.

The built up floor ready to receive the shell.

The shell was sprayed before fitting.

The 'damage' was applied using a variety of methods,I like to use a knife handle with the blade removed and holding it lightly by the blade end and just jet it swing downwards to hit the area in question,repeat as required.. [smilie=rofl.gif] [smilie=rofl.gif]

Btw,if this car looks familiar you may have seen it at the show in Swords last year..LOL

Now you have the idea I will show the same thing with the Xsara banger.

The shell on this one received some drastic surgery.

Then it was fitted up with the new panels,same principle as on the Mercedes..

It too was sprayed and sign written before the damage was applied.

Here I wanted some light damage to the wing of a Ford Quad,as if the driver had scraped a wall or post etc.

The new wing after removal.

Here not only can you see what plastic was cut away but the fact that the foil was from an instant porridge meal.. ]o|

Then it was given some mild damage.

After being given the salt treatment and painted here is the end result.

Well as Bugs Bunny would say 'that's all folks'
I had fun putting this together and hope that is useful to you guys,I dont really do that much in the way of aircraft but can imagine the potential for battle damage,be it a stitch of machine bullet holes or more severe flak damage. :D :D
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Tue 14 Jun 2016, 6:40 pm

Brilliant Nigel, I am for sure going to be using this.

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Tue 14 Jun 2016, 6:42 pm

No worries Curt,I find that the best way to replicate damaged metal is to actually use metal.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Tue 14 Jun 2016, 7:18 pm

I remember this from escale Nige.

Got a Quad tractor that I want to beat up in a dio. This will be perfect for it.

Thanks for posting.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
GaryDainton
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Tue 14 Jun 2016, 8:09 pm

Great tutorial Nige thanks very much for posting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Tue 14 Jun 2016, 10:10 pm

Cheers gents,
I have seen kits heated and frankly they look toy like so metal it is for me!
Back to top Go down
dublin boy
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Tue 14 Jun 2016, 10:18 pm

That's very true Nigel, the heated plastic is miles too thick.
Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Tue 14 Jun 2016, 10:45 pm

Excellent Nigel. I have this bookmarked. Thanks for posting.

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Mr Hirakawa
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Wed 15 Jun 2016, 8:11 am

This is an interesting idea though I would use it not to show damage but to have spare body panels instead. If there was a way to make the panels solid afterwards then that would be great.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Wed 15 Jun 2016, 10:53 am

SWEET !! I'll surely have to have a go at this sometime !!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Wed 15 Jun 2016, 11:31 am

Mr Hirakawa wrote:
This is an interesting idea though I would use it not to show damage but to have spare body panels instead. If there was a way to make the panels solid afterwards then that would be great.

Easy,just apply epoxy glue to the backs.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Wed 15 Jun 2016, 1:50 pm

Great work, Nige. Both on the builds and the tutorial.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Wed 15 Jun 2016, 3:38 pm

Team escale seems appropriate, though it was accidental at the time. This is one of those tutorials worth marking as a favorite and saving.
My attempt long ago at an accident car was mostly plastic heated and the look was, as expected, not the best. Heavy duty foil is the way to go and removing plastic panels and using only foil really duplicates the real thing. Way to go!!!
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Wed 15 Jun 2016, 5:17 pm

Very nice tutorial, well written and some great ideas. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Wed 15 Jun 2016, 7:09 pm

Cheers guys,you never know what is in my mind..
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Wed 15 Jun 2016, 9:27 pm

arni wrote:
Cheers guys,you never know what is in my mind..

Lol, neither do you.

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
disabled modeler
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Thu 16 Jun 2016, 12:12 pm

Cool Idea Nigel....
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Fri 17 Jun 2016, 3:58 pm

Thanks for sharing this Nigel! And an additional thanks for the thorough photo documentation, so much easier to 'get' what you're getting at that way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   Tue 21 Jun 2016, 8:54 pm

It is my pleasure to share anything that can help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.   

Back to top Go down

Making alloy panels for cars etc.Accident damage and so on.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1