Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17
AuthorMessage
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Wed 20 Dec 2017, 11:36 am

This is no mere kit bash Kats. Great work.
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Wed 20 Dec 2017, 9:13 pm

Words escape me to describe the true pleasure it is to watch this build.

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Tue 02 Jan 2018, 12:00 am

Thanks for the very kind comments and encouragement and a Happy New Year to all!  

Well, a bit of a hiatus interspersed with bouts of work bench time and me losing track of the number of pictures I was taking leads to a longer than average post - but hey, it's my first post of 2018 so why not.

So we return to the flywheel shroud - here it is after I've increased the outside diameter by adding strips of styrene.  This is an example of my sometimes inaccurate measurements resulting in additional work being needed.

Once the diameter was what I wanted I added a wider strip along the perimeter as a base for further work.

On the top left is what will become a border ring for the shroud face.  Top right is the other side of the shroud with a lip of wider styrene to allow for edge work.

On the left is the backside of the shroud and on the right is the border for the shroud face after the inner circle had been cut out.

The shroud face with the border added.

The shifter sees some work as well, here's a check fit of the first shift lever.

A view of the back to show how the post is seated within.

The second shift lever mount piece being worked up on the end of a styrene post.  This method is much easier than trying to work the small bit freehanded.

Check fit of the second shift lever.  Also the first shift lever has had some bends put in.

Playing with curves and styles for the second shift lever.  This version has already been altered since I took this photo.

Back to the flywheel shroud - after quadruple checking the measurements I affixed spacer posts to the back side ring with MEK. At this point the mesh inserts were also affixed with CA into the shroud face.

Then I attached the face to the back using just MEK at this point.

Test/check fits on the flywheel.  This is the upper half and so it is not sitting properly but the basic idea is now visible.

The lower half of the shroud gets a similar treatment.  Due to the geometry of the placement I couldn't give the lower part a half circle back ring but a quarter circle would fit without problem.  The open part will have custom stuff as that's where I'll add frame mounts.

I'm still trying to work out how I want to mount the primary drive belt shroud which is why that part has been unseen these past weeks.

The likely future is that I'll be working on the mounting for both shrouds at the same time because to do so I'll have to remove a bunch of parts to get access to the frame sections.  Also, I'm wondering about if the shift levers should have some sort of ratchet lock lever thingy - which might be problematic as I've bent the rods in such a way that there is no straight line and thus a simple post and rocker lever won't work.  I'm considering tossing this concern into the 'Magic' part of Steampunk and not bothering ... though the additional mechanical bits would look cool.

Thankfully these parts have managed to consume enough of my active attention that I haven't started developing yet more parts that I'm not sure about - I know I need to work up the 'flame throttle' for the burner as well as the water pump which will be powered off the primary drive shaft at the transmission but, really, I should wait until the current parts have been mostly finalized.

And I'm changing to a new end post slogan for 2018 ... candidates included, "What the hell am I thinking?" and "Am I really this stupid?"  But after some consideration I've decided on ...

Nothing exceeds like excess ...
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Tue 02 Jan 2018, 4:21 pm

Superb Kats, I agree that handles on the levers levers would look great. Perhaps similar to points levers?
If you can engineer them into your current design.

Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sun 07 Jan 2018, 12:02 pm

Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 12:07 am

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement  

Gary - Thanks for those pics, I've been thinking about weird ways to incorporate levers that make sense but the best I can think of is a cable pulley set up.  Given how cramped things are I'm thinking I might have to just go with the 'mechanical magic' theme and not add the extra detail.  Here is a classic situation where not having a plan results in issues - had I thought of this earlier I could have fashioned the surrounding parts to accommodate properly.  Oh, and I haven't forgotten the rear view mirror, lol, I'm just procrastinating and getting distracted.

Following the theme of the drive belt shroud I used PE girders to fill the outside round of the flywheel shroud.  The bits show the stages of cutting and shaping the segments.

The segments in place affixed with thin CA.  At some point I remembered that I could anneal the PE parts to soften them so I did so very carefully since these are thin and easily warped and/or melted.  This helped them conform to the curve without tension which is important to avoid warping the thin inner plastic rim.

The lower half of the shroud is the logical place for the frame mounts so here is the beginnings of the plate/cover bit.

I had thought of using sheet brass but it seemed easier to 'slat' the curve with styrene.  This will also make it easier to repair/alter sections of it as it evolves.

Outer layer in place.  I'm going to glue in an inner layer of slats, let that cure then fill in and strengthen the whole section with thin CA.

I've been tinkering with the shifter as well but there hasn't been enough progress to merit photos, hopefully next week will bring some of those.  I've also been having some ideas about the belt drive shroud mounting scheme, finally.  My subconscious isn't what it once was, it seems

Nothing exceeds like excess ...
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 11:57 am

Absolutely fantastic Kats, the PE work is outstanding.
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Wed 10 Jan 2018, 1:34 pm

I am really looking forward to the completed photos of this fantastic build. I think many of us will remember this build for years to come. I know I will never forget the mastery of this fantastic piece of art coming together.

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sat 13 Jan 2018, 11:55 am

Curt summed up my comments pretty well.
It's hard to show my admiration for this build, regularly, without getting mushingly redundant !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 17 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17