Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16
AuthorMessage
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Mon 06 Nov 2017, 12:04 am

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, gents  

Gary - yeah, I know what you mean - that hat can be kind of a headache *runs away in shame*

The shroud for the primary drive belt demanded my attention, which is another way of saying I was distracting myself from the other pending stuff for the parts already in progress.  After some deliberation I decided to go with the 'clam shell' style split - the path of least resistance and it was the only solution that seemed workable.  Here's the bits in progress, first shot is of the basic 'proof of concept.'

Additional edging added to accommodate the PE.

The two halves take shape.  Even though I fretted and fussed there is still a bit of a twist warp to the pieces but thankfully it wasn't enough to require a separation and re-try.

Join points added and holes drilled.

Test fit - this is just sitting on the drive wheel/cogs, the bottom half will be attached to mount points attached to the frame ... eventually. You can see that the halves don't fit perfectly, but that will be taken care of by more detail to help obscure the errors.

Speaking of error obscuring detail, the outside cover for the shroud begins to form. The oval was cut to be slightly smaller than the shroud itself and the copper mesh was a lucky find in my 'scrap bits' box.

Window framing the mesh.  I'm tossing around ideas for the ends, the bolts from the drive wheel/cogs stick out past the shroud so I do want to try and cover them but I'm unsure as to which style I'm going to go with.  The front runner is simple wire 'cages' but I'm also considering more elaborate possibilities.

The fill cap and pipe for the secondary fuel tank is also being worked on but I haven't taken any photos because it's still mostly a blob at this point.  And the shroud for the flywheel hovers in my brain, trying to coalesce into an idea that I can actually develop.  And behind all of this is the knowledge that I haven't started on the shifter, water pump and assorted boiler/burner hardware for the various water and fuel lines as well as the throttle mechanism.  I could be kicking myself for getting distracted but I figure that as long as I'm working on stuff for the steamcycle and not something completely different I'm progressing.  I hope ...

Just keep swimming ...
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sat 11 Nov 2017, 10:31 am

Y' know, You just touched on what I have been thinking about a lot lately. All of these impending details that you are aware that you will yet have to deal with, and you still meticulously plod along on this incredible detailing !
I, at 83+ years old, on my current project, am beginning to realize that my brain is far too ambitious for my body !
God, I love what you are doing here !

Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Sat 11 Nov 2017, 10:35 am

That really works Kats, and it looks brilliant 'in situ'.
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Tue 14 Nov 2017, 6:44 pm

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement, fellows  

Clay - the whole 'brain being too ambitious' thing is an issue I've been dealing with since I started scale modelling, lol.  It took me a long time to learn the patience and tenacity to try to accomplish what I have in mind ... just in time for my body to start slowly falling apart.  Love the irony ...

So here's the fill tube for the secondary fuel tank - now that it looks like something other than a blob.

The cap in place.  I went away from the hinged flip cap style of the other tanks for this one given the cramped space.

Back to the cover for the primary drive shroud.  I decided to try and fabricate domed mesh covers for the drive cog/wheels - cut rings out of thin sheet styrene with a compass, shape the mesh by pressing against the rounded end of an X-Acto handle, glue mesh with CA and the rest with MEK.  Then reinforce the bond with more CA.

Made the other drive wheel cover and filled in the gaps in the cover frame.  Test fits showed that my measurements were good enough to result in proper clearance.

The secondary fuel tank with the fill tube/cap affixed in place.

And so it goes.  I'm quite pleased with the 'quick' progress on the primary drive belt shroud - I'd thought it would take longer but it's been cooperating with me, so far that is.  Plus the experience with the primary drive shroud has been giving me lots of data and ideas on how to tackle the flywheel shroud.  The secondary fuel tank awaits the mount point for the fuel feed valve and perhaps some additional detail ... though I'm not sure how much more I want to add to that particular bit.  And the much spoken of water pump and shifter have both been knocking about in the mental laboratory - as well as the throttle control for the boiler/burner.  Why do I do this stuff to myself ...

Just keep swimming ...
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Tue 14 Nov 2017, 6:56 pm

Great stuff Kats.
Back to top Go down
Speed Racer 65
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Tue 14 Nov 2017, 7:10 pm

Thanks for keeping at this one and continuing to update us.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   Today at 11:02 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)   

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Harley - Tamiya 1/6 HD FLH Classic 'extreme' kit bash (Very Photo Heavy)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 16 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16