Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Mon 21 Mar 2016, 6:06 pm

Picked this up for ten bob in a local charity shop.... there was (as far as i can see) only one piece missing which was a brake disk incorporating a square hole for wheel attachment.
Made on up from a few styrene bits, you can't see it as it's behind the wheel anyway but i painted it up as per the original parts just in case

I've used a darker powder blue for the body work just for personal preference.

I've just added a little bit to the seat regarding some tape for the belts but thats it for any further detailing

The edges of the matt black on the bodywork will be tidied up with some thin pinstripe that i've painted matt black, just to give it a raised edge and just to see what it looks like to be honest.

Just some pictures in order to show where i am now ... it's being built OOB but i'll detail the paintwork as much as i feel needs doing.

Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Mon 21 Mar 2016, 6:45 pm

Looking good Colin, I built this one back in 2012.

Not sure if it was the Aston or the Jaguar now but I remember one of them had issues with the headlight lenses. You might want to check them.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Mon 21 Mar 2016, 7:18 pm

Will do sir ......

Just found that the front windscreen has a crack in it, wrong place to cover it with the wiper (typical) hopefully it's not too noticeable when its finished ... after all 50p is a lot to spend on a kit for it to be damaged lol.
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Mon 21 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Mon 21 Mar 2016, 7:40 pm

Colin............ cover the crack with some racers tape (Duct tape) made from sprayed silver Tamiya masking tape.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Mon 21 Mar 2016, 8:20 pm

Yeah was thinking about making it a used vehicle instead of showroom ... Bit of light dusting etc ... Will defo try the tape. ... Ta muchly for the input.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Mon 21 Mar 2016, 10:51 pm

Here to serve!!!

Back to top Go down
kpnuts

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Tue 22 Mar 2016, 3:49 pm

Looking very cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Tue 22 Mar 2016, 6:20 pm

Thanks Ken

Two halves ready to go together last night

The head light lenses didn't pose an issue Al, fairly straight forward after a clean up.

ready for decals

Have got this far and i'm calling it for the night before i throw it at the wall lol .... the decals are holding together but they have no adhesive qualities bar aquatic tension.... tried some proprietary micro-doodah-setting stuff after my normal white vinegar and fairy liquid (as thats all ya basic micro-doodah stuff is at the end of the day .. acetic acid and detergent) ... and no luck with either, luckily i tried it on some spare styrene so i didn't stuff the model up (yes i know i had a sensible thought for once lol)

Tomorrow is another day, now to go shoot up a few team players in unreal tournament
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:29 pm

Must be the Jag then Colin.

Odd about the decals, mine were fine.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Tue 22 Mar 2016, 10:55 pm

Yeah, tis odd indeed, the paper is fine (as in crisp white) doesn't look like it's been damp, the decals come loose in a few seconds in cold water, they slide well on a painted surface yet don't set themselves when dry, you can just blow on them and they flake off, still as a whole though as they're quite strong, if a little inflexible.

Will use hairspray as a weak water adhesive on the next shot ... That's worked in the past.... ie spray hairspray, wait till dry then just slap the decal on top, the water dissolves the spray a little and it then dries again giving adhesion.

Think I'll use some watered sandy coloured paint flicked on with a toothbrush to give it a fine dust splattered look after I've patched up the windscreen with duct tape and maybe pop some more here and there to simulate a raced vehicle that's sustained a bit of damage.
Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Tue 22 Mar 2016, 11:29 pm

That looks bang on. Nice resolution for the decals with the hair spray, clever.

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Tue 22 Mar 2016, 11:52 pm

Colin..... I screwed mine up by soaking the main decal in water too hot. I asked Airfix if they would sell me a fresh set. A few weeks later I received them totally free of charge. Worth a go.

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Wed 23 Mar 2016, 12:13 pm

Looks great!  Super price, body itself is the kit's best feature.  Very nice, clean work!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   Wed 23 Mar 2016, 6:01 pm

Finished it

The hairspray trick worked wonders, decals were still a little resilient to shaping though

Finished thread here

http://skidsplace.forumotion.co/t3221-airfix-132-aston-martin-dbr9-gulf
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf   

Back to top Go down

Airfix ... 1:32 Aston Martin DBR9 Gulf
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1