Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Sun 19 Jun 2016, 11:57 pm

This is really starting to take shape, some really fantastic detail work going into this.

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Mon 20 Jun 2016, 8:34 am

Great progress and stunning paintwork!!!
Back to top Go down
kpnuts
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Tue 19 Jul 2016, 5:19 pm

Hi all well since I've finished the 32 ford I'm tentatively back on this, the first thing I noticed(which when I put it away I didn't was the jib was quite a bit off centre, no amount of gentle twisting would straighten it so I bit my lip and cut it off.

The guilding on the top rails was rubbish so that's been given another go, still not happy with it but will live with it for now also added a bit more deck furniture.

Removed some of the wash from the transom sort of better we will just have to see how I feel after I've lived with it for a while, I may still strip it, I'm feeling better about it anyway.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Tue 19 Jul 2016, 5:39 pm

Too too good! Take ur time, share fotos when you can. I feel cooler already imagining myself out sailing on it!
Back to top Go down
kpnuts
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Sat 23 Jul 2016, 8:42 pm

Hi all here is another little update, that mast is not glued in yet just positioned to see the effect, I've seen where people do the ratlines on the upper masts before atattching the mast, to me it looks easier than having to try it whilst attached to the ship.

Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Sun 24 Jul 2016, 11:01 am

Wonderful detailing Ken.
Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Sun 24 Jul 2016, 7:39 pm

Excellent progress! And definitely, absolutely work up the upper ratlines before affixing the masts. When I was rigging my Cutty that was the first thing I was told - but bear in mind that means having the upper mast portions worked up to the point where you can obscure a bunch of it behind the ratlines.

Another thing to bear in mind is to check the ratlines in the upper portions to see if they 'carry over' onto the backstay shrouds - on my build this happened on the uppermost ratlines that connected to the Royal mast portions. For these I'd recommend making sure to leave plenty of extra 'ratline' thread so that you can complete the rigging of these once the backstays are in place.

She's looking awesome, your paintwork on the deck is beautiful and the detailing is gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
kpnuts
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Tue 09 Aug 2016, 8:30 pm

Hi all, the rest of the cannons are fully visible so I've decided to try and detail them a bit more, there is no wood grain moulded in the plastic sides so I've scratched some lightly with my knife and tried painting and using pastels to get an wood effect, not worked as well as I'd liked but better than nothing, and when they are installed you probably won't even notice anyway.

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Wed 10 Aug 2016, 12:35 pm

Plenty good to my eye! The rigging on a WWI plane would be my limit. Doing all a ship takes would put me in psycho hospital! Good luck, she'll be jaw-dropping when finished.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Wed 10 Aug 2016, 6:22 pm

Coming along nicely. The cannons are very nice. Good workmanship on all of it.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Fri 12 Aug 2016, 7:29 pm

Great work! The cannons look awesome

One of the things I have tried to good effect for wood grain on plastic is to use 'rough' grit sandpaper (100 - 200 grit) and lightly score the surfaces. Lightly is the operative word here with such a rough grit. Also, if you curve the stroke slightly you can get that 'wavy' wood grain look. However, on really small bits this can be somewhat touchy.

Back to top Go down
kpnuts
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Fri 12 Aug 2016, 9:14 pm

Hi all these cannons are a bit tedious but I've done a bit more, not happy with them, they still don't look very realistic (each one is less than 1/2 an inch long, well the carriage is anyway), so I can't do much with them but I'm wondering weather the decking from the 1/72 revell flower class corvette would look good stuck on and stained what do you think.

Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Sun 14 Aug 2016, 6:50 pm

Tiny little pieces can be tedious but the cannons look pretty good in the photos. I like the development of the paint on the cannon themselves and the carriages are coming along nicely.

Re: the decking from the 1/72 Corvette - it sounds like an idea but it would have to be really low profile to not widen the carriages too much. But it does sound like it would work otherwise. Best of luck and hopefully it works out.
Back to top Go down
kpnuts
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Sat 15 Oct 2016, 8:34 pm

Hi all well i know I've not touched this for a while, Pam just snapped the fore mast, apparently she was just getting the dog a treat  (the bag with the treats in was on the table with the kit) my fault entirely, she is so upset I'm more cross she even tried to, that's what I'm here for to get stuff, trouble is she thinks because she can make it to the loo and make a cuppa she can do anything, I love her to bits and can't wait for her to get better. Anyway when I do get back on this that will be the first thing for me to takle. 
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Sun 16 Oct 2016, 6:08 pm

Drat the bad luck. I understand your feelings completely.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
kpnuts
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Sun 06 Aug 2017, 4:48 pm

Hi all well I'm back on this but with a change of attack, it's now going to be a water line model, I didn't like the ships boats on the deck (take up too much space and I don't believe the ship would have operated like that) so it will be towed along side something like this.

Back to top Go down
KatsZenJammer

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Sun 06 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

Great to see this back in the shipyard! I don't know how involved you want to get on the water aspect but I've seen some great tutorials on how to achieve water/wave/wake effects using a wide variety of materials. Very much looking forward to seeing this develop popcorn
Back to top Go down
kpnuts
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Sun 06 Aug 2017, 7:34 pm

I'm going to be using bathroom sealant, it's my usual method.
Back to top Go down
kpnuts
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Tue 15 Aug 2017, 8:40 pm

Hi all well I've detailed up one of the ships boats (I suppose that means I will have to do the other one now)here's the before

Put the bathroom sealant on and started painting the tops of the waves

Loads more wave painting to do.
I've removed a couple of the guns to load the supplies into I understand they used some sort of pulley system from the spars to load the supplies with and I want to depict that has anyone got any detailed drawings of how this was achieved.

I've only used one of the port and starboard anchors, I'm hoping the other two are spares, I can't imagine they used all 4 anchors or am I wrong.
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Tue 15 Aug 2017, 9:00 pm

Great stuff!!
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Wed 16 Aug 2017, 1:23 pm

Very nice work on the water, sir.

Back to top Go down
kpnuts
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Thu 17 Aug 2017, 7:32 pm

Hi all well I've finally finished painting the waved (That's a lot of water) not sure if it needs more colour, I'm trying for the dark brackish water of a harbour.

Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   Fri 18 Aug 2017, 9:20 am

Looking VERY impressive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line   

Back to top Go down

Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4