Share | 

Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Mon 21 Dec 2015, 5:47 pm

I always wanted to do this unique WWI aircraft.  It was a 'Flying Boat' that patrolled the English coast for submarines and zeppelins.  It is based on the Curtiss H12 with improvements to the hull and engines, which were Rolls Royce 12 cylinder Eagles.  

Surprising, though, Roden doesn't include any of the eye-catching fuselage paint schemes in the decal sheet.  One scheme was available by AIMS of the UK, but is no longer available.  This will probably prove to be the biggest challenge.  I'm planning to do the scheme on the boxart.

The kit looks very well done with no flash or sinkholes.  It's 229 pieces will produce a model with a 15.5 inch wingspan, about 8.5 inches long - just a bit smaller than the Handley-Page bomber I recently built.

2 of these sprues.

My first sub-assembly will be the two 31 piece engines.

I think I'll have a better time with this than the Albatros I just finished.  Wish me luck, guys.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Tue 22 Dec 2015, 12:17 am

I doubt you need luck with your skill set Mike! but 'Luck' all the same.!!

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Tue 22 Dec 2015, 5:24 am

I'll stick to jets, me thinks. Interesting colour scheme too.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Tue 22 Dec 2015, 1:08 pm

Good luck, it'll be something to be proud of when finished!  Engines look impressive and will be important in making it look real.  I don't envy you all the guy wires on the wings.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Tue 22 Dec 2015, 4:29 pm

That is a great subject.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 1:01 am

Got most of one engine together.  The parts are so small, a little squeeze breaks off a manifold now and then.  LOL

Still have the engine mounting rails, magnetos, oil tank and some other tiny pieces to go on.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 5:31 pm

Wow I had no idea it was so small. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 10:29 pm

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Mon 28 Dec 2015, 8:20 pm

Jumping around a bit here.  Got some of the hull/fuselage painted since I think I'll be decaling before other pieces get assembled to it.

The red appears much darker than it actually is in real life.

The tail flaps attach to those tiny pins, so they'll probably remain detached until the end.

This is the carriage that the plane gets moved on since there are no wheels on the plane.

So far, so good.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Mon 28 Dec 2015, 8:56 pm

Nice work Mike. The engine looks great for such a tiny piece.

Love the 'woodwork' on the carriage too.

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Sun 03 Jan 2016, 3:28 pm

Jumped around again, trying some decals out.  Hadn't had this problem with Roden's decals before but they were a real bear.  Took about 45 seconds in water to loosen them and when loose were very brittle and highly resistant to Microsol.  

Treated these with a buff basecoat and reddish brown drybrushing over that.  Trying to mask off the metallic bracing to paint it was a pain, so I decided to BMF it over.  It'll probably get a light coat of satin or flat eventually.

Also, assembled these.
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Sun 03 Jan 2016, 5:56 pm

Sterling work Mike, this is going to be really impressive. popcorn
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Sun 03 Jan 2016, 7:38 pm

Ditto from me. Those struts look great.

Back to top Go down
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Sun 03 Jan 2016, 8:59 pm

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Fri 29 Jan 2016, 6:01 pm

Well, after the Lotus problem, I revisited this one.  Can't let everything go to hell for 2016.  LOL

Problems encountered on this were the flaps on the main wing were a very fragile attachment and snapped off while decaling.  I finally cut the decal in two and applied separately and will reattach flaps later, after the wing is in place.  Another problem was creating the decals for the scrollwork paint scheme.  I was able to cut them with a fresh XActo blade from blank white decal paper.  But getting them off the backing paper without breaking, folding or doubling up was near impossible.  

So, I'm settling for one of the alternate paint schemes.  No decals.  

Still a rather festive looking gunship.

Just a little fogging in the creases to clean up, but its done.

Mike
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Fri 29 Jan 2016, 9:09 pm

Great work Mike!!!
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Fri 29 Jan 2016, 10:56 pm

You opening an airborne barbers shop Mike!!

Very colourful and great masking.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Sat 30 Jan 2016, 7:07 pm

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Sun 31 Jan 2016, 3:53 pm

With well detailed engines and bright paint scheme this will be a fantastic addition to your collection.  I'll keep watching for the wrap-up!
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Sun 07 Feb 2016, 3:19 pm

It looks like 2016 is off to a shaky start on a few builds, here.  And this one is included.

Getting the engine mounted was a very tedious task, mounting on two very fine pins.  But when looking at it from the side, it appears there are some ugly angles between the engine and the hull, and the rear strut.  I doublechecked with the other engine and spars to make sure I didn't switch the short and long, and I placed the struts where the instructions show them to go.  The touchy thing about shortening/lengthening engine struts is that they'll have to fit properly when the wings spars are set in.  Also there's the ugly task of disassembly.

Got the MG's installed in the ring for the fuselage top.  Also the tiny generators are on.

Decided to take a different approach to rigging this one.  I drilled tiny holes in the strut ends which will have the EZLine threaded through.  Hopefully it will make for a cleaner, and easier, method.

Thanks for looking and your comments,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Sun 07 Feb 2016, 4:40 pm

Hmmmmm...... Shame, that's quite a way out Mike. Have you any plans to try and correct it?

I like the idea for the rigging, I can see that working.

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:40 pm

I see your point on the engine mounts.  I googled images to see other finished ones, but didn't check on how the builds went.  The amount of rigging is a huge challenge as well.  Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Mon 08 Feb 2016, 6:39 pm

Lovin' this one. It is a cool looking plane (said the guy that knows nothing about planes).
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:19 pm

Yes, there is a plan.  I removed the engine and thought about it for awhile.  Since the strut lengths can't be changed too much, I decided to buildup the wings on them and, afterwards, fit the engines in position, making new engine struts, if necessary.  At least it sounds like a plan.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   Tue 09 Feb 2016, 5:48 pm

Got it, Good plan B.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72   

Back to top Go down

Felixstowe F2A 'Flying Boat' - Roden 1/72
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next