Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Tue 22 Dec 2015, 9:03 pm

Hi Al,

I really hope all goes well for you both Sir, its something I wouldn't like to go through...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Tue 22 Dec 2015, 9:33 pm

Glad to see you're looking UP to that news. Also glad to see the insurance companies are coughing up.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:16 am

As the cannibal said after up chucking a bishop, 'You can't keep a good man down'.

Up and running and ready to kick the world in the ass!!

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Wed 23 Dec 2015, 6:53 pm

Some people in Cumbria have been flooded for the second time in two and a half weeks and we are getting storm Eva on Christmas Eve.

We are a bit better prepared this time as MKM Building Supplies in Hexham, have been giving flood victims free sandbags. They delivered fifty to us just an hour after I rang them. How good is that?

Back to top Go down
dublin boy
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Wed 23 Dec 2015, 7:23 pm

We're having Storm Eva here now Al on the West Coast and it's moving towards Dublin.

It's windy but not too wet, it's supposed to fizzle out by Midnight.

Storm in a tea cup this time apparently.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Wed 23 Dec 2015, 10:48 pm

Depends on the size of the teacup Shay. LOL

The Environment Agency, has issued a Flood Alert warning, (Meaning flooding is possible. Be prepared) effective for the next two weeks.

It's the lowest of the three levels of flood warnings (followed by Flood Warning. Flooding is expected. Immediate action required and Severe Flood Warning. Severe flooding. Danger to life.

Not going to take any chances. The sandbags stay!! LOL

Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Thu 24 Dec 2015, 12:16 am

Skid wrote:
The sandbags stay!! LOL

Hi Al,

I hope they came pre filled, I still have nightmares filling those things...

I really, really hope you don't get hit again, we've got high winds down here at the moment, but so far no rain thankfully...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
dublin boy
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Thu 24 Dec 2015, 2:50 pm

I saw the Army filling them here on the tv, they had made up a makeshift frame with upside down traffic cones (with the tops cut off...) in it. They had the bags underneath and just shovelled sand into the top.
Seemed to be quite fast.
Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Thu 24 Dec 2015, 8:55 pm

We heard on the news that people in your area were flooded for the 2nd and 3rd time. You are in our thoughts Al. Good luck mate.
Back to top Go down
A5h

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Thu 24 Dec 2015, 9:29 pm

Best of luck mate!!!!
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 11:26 am

Thanks guys. We are in for another storm tonight with 80mph winds. The river level at the moment is .83m above norm with flooding possible at 2.7m. Two weeks ago the river reached 4.5m before it flooded us. Fingers crossed.

Johnag wrote:
Skid wrote:
The sandbags stay!! LOL

Hi Al,

I hope they came pre filled, I still have nightmares filling those things...

Andy...

Yes they were pre-filled Andy and they are now all in place!!

More sad news though. One of our cats died yesterday. She had diabetes she just wouldn't take her daily injections without becoming extremely distressed. In the end I gave up trying as it really wasn't fair to get her so distressed.

A few days ago, I had to confine her in the derelict dining room so that the heating engineer could get the new boiler installed. When I went to let her out, she was lying in the open grate of the coal fire. As I approached her she went up the chimney breast to a ledge I couldn't get to.

When she finally came out she was mucky with soot and I think she must have gotten some in her  lungs as she rapidly went down hill, not drinking or eating. She wasn't distressed or in pain so we decided not to distress her by taking her to the vet for the dirty deed, and she quietly and calmly slipped away.

Taken Christmas day last year. How things change.

RIP Sally.

Last edited by Skid on Fri 25 Dec 2015, 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A5h

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 11:28 am

Sorry for your loss Al
Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 2:29 pm

You have my sympathy my friend. I really know what the loss of a pet can mean. My good friend Nick, a Yellow Lab, died a number of years ago after living with us for 16 years. His loss was a major disruption in our family. To this day I think of him daily. The bright spot I'm trying to get to here is to know that as time passes the memories of your friend become more and more the happy ones. John

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 5:28 pm

Sorry to hear this Al.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 6:33 pm

Sympathy to you.  We had  a neighbor's cat die a few months back at 13.  Tho it leaves a hole in my heart, it's better the Heath didn't suffer a long time and had good care.  Since then a new kitten, now an adult, is helping heal us.  Memories of good days for a pet and the love and entertainment they provide makes the loss less painful.  Thanx for the update.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 6:41 pm

Oh what a shame mate .... she'll live on in your memories though which is a nice thought.

The winds are hitting us fairly hard up here at the mo, so i'll bet it gets a bit blowy down there soon...

Take care, thinking of you both .... don't forget i'm only a pm away if things get too tough for you both.
Back to top Go down
beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 7:34 pm

awww bugger

you have my deepest sympathises, always hard losing a pet

our last cat Tiff developed diabetes, i had to give her injections twice a day, she was good as gold, if i was just 5 minutes late she would come and sit next to me and meow at me til i did it

2009 A:72 B:31 C:4....2010 A:50 B:27 C:21....2011 A:45 B:25 C:2....2012 A:25 B:19 C:2
2013 A:25 B:15 C:2....2014 A:29 B:16 C:0....2015 A:28 B:21 C:1....2016  A:20 B:13 C:1
2017 A:12 B:2 C:11

Paul
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Fri 25 Dec 2015, 10:56 pm

Thanks for the sympathies guys.

Paul, we had a previous cat that was just like that, a doddle to injections too, twice a day.

Sally, however, hated them and wouldn't come near me for a week if I even tried!!

Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Sat 26 Dec 2015, 8:56 am

Sorry to hear about it Al. She was lucky to have you as a friend.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Sat 26 Dec 2015, 1:34 pm

It looks like we could be in for a second flood. Just under three weeks ago the river level reached 4.01m at the village measuring station. Right now the level is showing 3.20m and it's still raining.

All of our remaining downstairs possessions are now in a sealed container in the courtyard, so if we do get hit, it won't make any difference!!

Just have to wait out now.!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Sat 26 Dec 2015, 2:01 pm

We're having the "edge" of whats coming your way mate ..... there's local flooding in the "dips" here which is unusual considering we're 600ft above sea level so it doesn't bode well for the lowlands ...

Have the military managed to help out in your area at all?, i know they're hands on in Cumbria etc

All we can do is wish you well and hope it blows over quickly.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Sat 26 Dec 2015, 2:11 pm

Thanks Colin.

Have the military managed to help out in your area at all? wrote:

Hah!! Silly boy. The only help we can expect is from the Fire Service and then only in the village a mile and a half away. Out here, your'e on yer own mate!!

Even the Red Cross haven't delivered the bottled water they promised us!!

Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Sat 26 Dec 2015, 2:58 pm

Hang in there guys. We're thinking of you.

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:23 am

The good news is that the Flood Warning  has been reduced to no risk of flooding at all and the river this morning is down to 1.23m above norm. Phew!!

It could all happen again of course and we still have a long way to go before we can move back in down stairs but I want to thank all of you guys that have been posting in this thread, your thoughts, encouragement, good wishes and good natured humour really has helped me through this.

Back to top Go down
A5h

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   Sun 27 Dec 2015, 10:32 am

That's good news buddy, now you can start to relax and enjoy the early spring we seem to be having
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th   

Back to top Go down

Spare a thought for us guys. Update: June 15th
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next