Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Tue 15 Sep 2015, 6:24 pm

As mentioned in the "new kits" thread this cost me £20 with a robotic arm electronics kit in there as well so technically it cost a tenner :)

Its been sitting there over night shouting at me so today i went and had a proper look at the "damage" as it was a part assembled kit.

The only thing put together (badly) was the cockpit and body .... luckily it was superglued so i cracked the seams with a toffee hammer and they split apart nicely ........

.....although leaving this to clean up ... the previous owner must have poured the glue on.

There's some glue on the face side too right over the rivets ..... might have to sand them off and try and recreate them
Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Tue 15 Sep 2015, 6:35 pm

Hi Colin,

I'm in Sir, hope you have plenty of KFC...

Andy... popcorn
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Tue 15 Sep 2015, 7:01 pm

Nice one Colin. 1:12 scale lends itself to extra detail. Are you going to be adding any?

Looks like the guy who started it had all the gear but no idea!! LOL

Do Tamiya supply those wide rear tiires as per boxart? I ask as IIRC, the 49 used narrow rear tyres. The wider ones not being used until the introduction of the 49b in 1968.

Tamiya goolie?

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown

Last edited by Skid on Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Tue 15 Sep 2015, 7:36 pm

Yep Al the kits got the wider tyres ...

Lotus often used the thinner tyres in 68 as well, for certain tracks needing less rear grip ... but that was a different car physically

I'm not doing this as a particular drivers car so the tyres will do for this one

And yes, i'm adding as much detail as possible ... even have my Formula 1 Bibles at hand lol...

The spare (test) car for late 67 / early 68 looks remarkably possible, its still in this livery and uses the same bits plus it tested the new running gear out so i presume that meant tyres as well ...
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:10 pm

Cool. So they did mess up then!! LOL

But you know, it looks better with the big boots!!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Tue 15 Sep 2015, 10:21 pm

Skid wrote:

But you know, it looks better with the big boots!!!

I agree Al .... I found a couple of pictures online of the car with the wider tyres which said it was 67 ... however,  my f1 bibles agree with us and as we're pan-galactic mega beings and know much clever stuff ...... I'm chucking those tyres on it and creating the test car
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Wed 16 Sep 2015, 1:14 am

I will be following this one for sure !
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Wed 16 Sep 2015, 9:25 am

I'm chucking those tyres on it and creating the test car wrote:

Good for you, it will look better with wide boots anyway.

Got a photo of the test car?

Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Wed 16 Sep 2015, 12:43 pm

Im following Collin, could be an epic build in that scale. the words super detail spring to mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Wed 16 Sep 2015, 2:49 pm

Skid wrote:
Got a photo of the test car?

Unfortunately all i have on the matter is a few paragraphs on "in season testing and improvements") but seems it just looks like the race car apart from the rear wheels were black and the front wheels were yellow apparently, doesn't say why in the text, all the "improvements" were mechanical so it'll be done as per reference images from the net (albeit they seem mostly to be images of museum restorations and replica show cars, some of which have just been put together with what they had lying around so it looks like .... i.e. 67's having the larger rear tyres ( which we are pretty sure didn't happen) some having the wrong intakes etc)

The test car did have a cine-camera attached just to the right of the cockpit so that'll be included in my build.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Wed 16 Sep 2015, 2:56 pm

I've managed to get the excess glue from the detailed parts by using a fibreglass pen, an old trick i used when doing artwork on 1:1

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Wed 16 Sep 2015, 3:09 pm

Great buy at that price. It'll make a beautiful build with either tires.

Where did you get the fiberglass pen? I had one for auto scratches some time back but can't find them around any more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Wed 16 Sep 2015, 3:21 pm

I got mine from Maplins Mike (£7 or $10)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/abrasive-fibreglass-pencil-kr61r

Ebay throws up some good deals as does Amazon ... i would assume they're available over there also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/fibreglass-pen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fibreglass-Abrasive-Cleaning-Pencil-Refills/dp/B003YSWJDG
Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Wed 16 Sep 2015, 3:43 pm

Great tip re the pen, and superb work salvaging the detail.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Wed 16 Sep 2015, 4:05 pm

Thanks gary, the details are still very minimum even on a larger scale like this, I'll just key the surface and spray very light coats till I get a cover im happy with, primer would probably be too much even if I used it ... which I dont unless I'm weathering paint back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Thu 17 Sep 2015, 6:29 pm

Working out of sync with the destructions i started the engine.

I want this to look like it's been on the track and not a "show car", but i'm not going for heavy grime ... just a used look as a test car would be after a few laps.

Gave the gearbox a nice shiney ally finish and then dulled it down with a light matt black wash.

The engine was given a matt black base coat and then a heavy dry brushing to bring it up to a nace "cast" look

The covers had some raised detail highlighted and the plug boots painted red... the recess around the plug boots was just filled with a watered down matt black and the liquid found it's own level and filled the recess nicely. i daubed some matt black here and there to give a slightly raised surface, left this to dry and then washed over the whole lot with a slightly watered down matt black, the raised (prepainted) areas should give an effect of greasy patches.

the instrument panel had the raised dial surrounds painted gunmetal and the base was given a light matt black wash, again finding it's own level and leaving the edges quite sharp.

Back to top Go down
GaryDainton
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Thu 17 Sep 2015, 6:51 pm

Great work Colin, some good detail on the model.
Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Thu 17 Sep 2015, 10:28 pm

Hi Colin,

This is looking very sweet Sir, I've still yet to have a go at dry brushing...

Andy... popcorn
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Thu 17 Sep 2015, 10:52 pm

I used to use one of those glass fibre pens for cleaning up freshly soldered oints on my scratch bulit slot car chassis years ago. Never thought about using on on styrene. Thanks for the HU Colin.

It's coming along nicely Colin, you will soon be into the 'added detail' stage.

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Thu 17 Sep 2015, 11:41 pm

Great work on painting an already well molded-in-detail engine.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Thu 17 Sep 2015, 11:51 pm

Very nice detailing, Colin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Fri 18 Sep 2015, 10:27 am

Thanks guys.

Waiting for an email from a buddy at lotus for what of the newer sprays will be close to origial and look right in scale.

Dont know whether to be anal and make a new instrument panel, as this ones incorrect in the positions of the dials, as well as having an extra one... as I'm doing a test car I could let it slide though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Fri 18 Sep 2015, 2:33 pm

Instrument panel can stay .... they're trying out a new layout for the next season (that'll do for me)

Going with the decals as the PE is rubbish compared.

Have filled the dials up with a 50/50 pva solution and this "should" give the impression of a plastic lens when dry.
Will add the extra bits (engine cutoff etc) when this has worked

The downpipes have been sprayed with an adequate base colour and will be drybrushed with a matt creamy grey when they've been cleaned up
Look at the appalling flash and misalignment for a £90 kit !!!!! (they were chromed so its even worse!!!)

Got the gear knob emblemed up ... had to resort to superglue as the decals are a bit springy and even a settling solution that normally has even the toughest of decals under control couldn't deal with it.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Fri 18 Sep 2015, 6:04 pm

Super detail, Nice work.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   Fri 18 Sep 2015, 7:12 pm

Thanks Buck

Got the wheels together

Tippex is your friend ....

Instrument panel looks better to the eye than in photo as the "lenses" are hard to capture
Now i can add the extra detailing to it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.   

Back to top Go down

Tamiya 1967 Lotus 49 ... 1/12 scale.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next