HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 13 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

I agree with Buck, I wouldn't even have attempted all that hand painting!!

I see what you mean about those four cannona Mike.... maybe they were bottom fed automatic cannons!!! LOL.

What a you know what, on behalf of the maker!!!

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 13 Mar 2015, 2:29 pm

Wow, whose ship was that, Sir Walter or Sir Elton's?---John
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sat 14 Mar 2015, 8:32 pm

I'm sure Elton would have enjoyed it. LOL

It's looking more like a ship again.  Fancy outhouses on the deck are together, rear terrace added, another mast in, and lifeboat in.  Also applied gold rub-on with a mini QTip.

The closeup pictures tell me where it's back to painting and touchup.
Mike
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sat 14 Mar 2015, 10:40 pm

Must be why they call it the "poop" deck.

Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 15 Mar 2015, 12:49 am

Wow,starting to look like a ship. What are those phone booth looking items on the 4
corners? They look like something I saw in London. I started a sailing ship once, the Revell
Old Ironsides, was a monster, black plastic, yuck, with lots of cannons and tons of block and
tackle rigging. I think Zbuckster is building one here, about where I was 40 years ago. Any suggestions
for a pirate ship, one that looks the part and not too huge. Keep up the good work. This will look
great next to a "Yellow Submarine".---John
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 15 Mar 2015, 2:14 pm

Not sure what the 4 structures were used for back then, but they appear on other ships of the 16th century also. By the 17th century they were gone and ships became sleeker.

If anyone out there knows their function, I'd appreciate your input.
Back to top Go down
beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 15 Mar 2015, 3:34 pm

JohnV wrote:
Any suggestions for a pirate ship, one that looks the part and not too huge.

revell do one......been in various guises over the years....ive even got a version in the stash which comes with a bottle of luminous paint to make a 'glowing' ghost ship ...............got a feeling Zvedsa borrowed the moulds too

http://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/ships/sailing-ships.html

2009 A:72 B:31 C:4....2010 A:50 B:27 C:21....2011 A:45 B:25 C:2....2012 A:25 B:19 C:2
2013 A:25 B:15 C:2....2014 A:29 B:16 C:0....2015 A:28 B:21 C:1....2016  A:20 B:13 C:1
2017 A:12 B:7 C:12

Paul
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 15 Mar 2015, 4:31 pm

I think it looks great Mike. Very colourful.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 15 Mar 2015, 5:16 pm

I am looking at this build and all I can think to say is "WOW!!!!". I just don't believe I could do the painting on it. Nice.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 15 Mar 2015, 7:08 pm

Okay, a bit of looking around yielded their name of the structures - they were called castles, for the simple reason they acted as castles. The ship was designed as a merchant ship for Raleigh. In the Elizabethan era, ships were attacked with the idea of plundering and/or capturing, not sinking. The vulnerable portion of the ship for boarding was the lower center deck, other levels being too high. To fend off such an attack, the castles provided protection for archers who had the boarders in a crossfire. The cannons on the upper deck may have been an upgrade made after the ship was acquired by the Crown. Of the 200 English ships that took part in the battle, only 34 were ships of the Royal Navy, the rest being privately owned ships. The castles disappeared as ship design changed, eliminating the tall construction that proved more stable in strong winds.
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 15 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm

I kind of got the same answer but they called them "archery towers" on the
site I was at. Is your ship the Ark Royal? The ship I was looking at was a kit
made by Lindberg.---John
http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/january/first-looks/lindberg_ark-royal.htm
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 15 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm

Wow, your kit is a dead ringer for the old Lindberg kit, except it was
molded in brown instead of white.---John
Back to top Go down
beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 15 Mar 2015, 9:32 pm

im afraid that im out of this one

my heart just isnt in it at the moment.....all ive managed to do is glue four bits together and a bit of filling.....the last week i havnt sat at the bench once, just cant get motivated and i think its the subject matter. ive always wanted to build one of these but i know if i try and force it i shall bugger it up.....and that would be a waste

a couple of my last few builds have not come out as i would have liked, ive lost a bit of confidance, i need to do something easy and do-able......and this isnt it......so im going box it up and return again some time later on

2009 A:72 B:31 C:4....2010 A:50 B:27 C:21....2011 A:45 B:25 C:2....2012 A:25 B:19 C:2
2013 A:25 B:15 C:2....2014 A:29 B:16 C:0....2015 A:28 B:21 C:1....2016  A:20 B:13 C:1
2017 A:12 B:7 C:12

Paul
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 15 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm

No worries Paul. Just pick up here when your ready. Thats the nice thing about the CB's being open ended now.

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 16 Mar 2015, 2:44 am

JohnV wrote:
Wow, your kit is a dead ringer for the old Lindberg kit, except it was
molded in brown instead of white.---John

Could be. I think LifeLike may be out of business, now. Lindbergh picks up a lot of Pyro's old molds and reissues them. They redid the series of the very early flying machines recently.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 16 Mar 2015, 6:19 pm

Sorry to lose you Paul, get back to it when the inspiration returns.

I'm struggling with mine too at the mo. The incompatability between enamel and acrylic paints (my fault entirely) has left some crazing on the deck. I could live with that but then I also got some on the hull and the black water lined pulled away when removing the Tamiy masking tape.

With a car, I'd just strip and start again but the hull on this is 575mm (22.25") long and at the mo I just don't have a contaier long enough to strip it an a brake fluid bath!!!!

So it's going back in the box for the mo.

I'm still very keen to build a ship, so this one will be arriving in a couple of days:

It looks to build up nicely too and I have read good reports about it:

Warspite is a very famous ship and saw intense action in World War Two, from 1939 until 1944, going into reserve in 1945 and after attempts to convert her into a museum ship failed, she was scrapped in 1950. Warspite earned the highest number of overall battle awards in the Royal Navy- both in World War Two, and of all time.

Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 16 Mar 2015, 7:47 pm

You may be able to decal the boot above the waterline. I got tired of
that problem and bought black stripped decals for this Revell 1/249
DE Buckley. I also liked Revells' method of doing the rails with "string".
The only thing I added was scratch building the sonar dome on the
hull below the bow---John
Back to top Go down
A5h

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 16 Mar 2015, 9:26 pm

Wow you guys are on a real mission, good luck guys your all doing a swell job!!!!!

Sorry that your joining me in the sin bin Paul, but its ok out here in the cold
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 17 Mar 2015, 7:05 pm

Got the masts on and two sails attached.  And a stand to hold everything.

And still painting...
Mike
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 18 Mar 2015, 2:56 am

A LOT of hand work on the Ark Royal! The Warspite foto is impressive too. When I was a kid I don't remember the box art with camo paint. Maybe they were sparing us all the brush painting it would take! Nobody was allowed aerosol cans and we wouldn't have had a clue on masking off parts anyway.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:32 pm

Harron, you must have gotten a late start in modeling - we could get all the spray paint we wanted, it's just that we were too frugal to waste it on buidings, fences and railroad cars. LOL
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 18 Mar 2015, 1:48 pm

Mike the Ark Royal looks terrific and your patience in brush painting is to be commended. I love it.

Do you think the Warspite would look good in those colours??? LOL

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 18 Mar 2015, 4:34 pm

Nice looking display piece, it looks a lot better than I thought it would. I thought it would look like a toy but to tell the truth it looks like a fancy sailing ship. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 18 Mar 2015, 6:30 pm

Thanks, guys. I'm hoping when it has sails, ratlines and rigging are finished it'll look OK on the shelf.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 18 Mar 2015, 8:17 pm

Warspite looks cool !!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skid's Place :: Community Builds :: Community Build WIP's-
Jump to: