Share | 

Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:42 pm

So well done!!  I am largely a "car" modeler too, but can truly enjoy other forms.  Saving an old hand made model can be as rewarding as building one's own.  Thanks to all for tips and techniques with ships.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:31 pm

That mast rocks, I don't know what else to say, well one big WOW!!!! would fit also.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 20 Apr 2015, 6:40 pm

Thanks guys

I thought i may as well do some additional rigging whilst the masts off the ship as it'll be a bit mor fiddly to do all three when they're attached.

Back to top Go down
A5h

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 20 Apr 2015, 8:35 pm

That looks really cool Colin, very nicely done Eagle-Eye
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Mon 20 Apr 2015, 11:51 pm

The mast's and rigging are looking great Colin and nice one on the lamp resto.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown

Last edited by Skid on Tue 21 Apr 2015, 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 21 Apr 2015, 12:25 pm

Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 26 Apr 2015, 9:27 am

Buck, Paul and Colin, these sailing ships look outstanding.

Colin, it's great that you can continue on a job your grandfather started, that's a really cool project.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 28 Apr 2015, 12:08 am

This one is already registered but I thought I should at least start it before the end of the registration period.

Boxart:

Hopefully she will come out like this:

There are no railings in the kit, so I purchased two sets of these to go with it.

"Warspite is a very famous ship and saw intense action in World War Two, from 1939 until 1944, going into reserve in 1945 and after attempts to convert her into a museum ship failed, she was scrapped in 1950. Warspite earned the highest number of overall battle awards in the Royal Navy- both in World War Two, and of all time."

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 28 Apr 2015, 1:23 pm

Railings look to be quite intense work. Good Luck, Al.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 28 Apr 2015, 5:24 pm

Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 03 May 2015, 10:19 am

Al - don't forget you already have a Trumpeter 1/700 HMS Hood somewhere in your stash.

Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sun 03 May 2015, 10:28 am

My next one for this Group Build will be the British aircraft carrier HMS Formidable. It is a conversion of the 1/700 Aoshima kit of the HMS Illustrious. The changes to the kit are from pictures in a Japanese language magazine 'Ship Modelling Special'.

New platforms have to be built at the stern which means that part of the flight deck will be cut.

Bits and pieces removed from the sprues, cleaned up and ready for priming.

The Japanese Ship Modelling Magazine. I collect these ones and also the Japanese language Navy Yard magazine.

Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Tue 05 May 2015, 12:58 pm

Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 06 May 2015, 12:00 am

Going to be nice when you get her done Do you read/speak Japanese ??
Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 06 May 2015, 4:07 am

No, but the pictures almost tell me what I want to know. My daughter studies Japanese at school so I will see if she can translate what I need to know.
Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 20 May 2015, 1:03 am

I scratch built some platforms around the rear of the flight deck.

The model in the background is a kit I built 30 years ago, the Tamiya HMS Prince of Wales. It's getting a new paint job.

I'm happy how its turning out. I am doing things I have learnt from Skids and eScale, and also using new paints, tools and oils etc that weren't around in the 1980s. Oh...the little stug behind the jar is something I got from the local flea market for a few dollars. I'm waiting for a replacement wheel from my cousin.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 20 May 2015, 1:06 am

Nice job taking that 30yr old build apart - they don't usually come apart so cleanly.
Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 20 May 2015, 1:15 am

RetiredMike wrote:
Nice job taking that 30yr old build apart - they don't usually come apart so cleanly.

Yeah, the locating pins on two of the guns broke, you can see that in the last photo. I airbrushed all the grey parts and then hand painted the deck by using a very fine brush to go around the small bits on the deck and then used a wider brush to fill in the rest. The weathering oils and matt varnish will cover up the blemishes in the paint job. The reno job is the reverse of what I usually do when building something new in that I always paint the decks first.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 20 May 2015, 4:17 pm

Into the dry dock for a fresh coat of paint and then back out to sea. Looks great Chris.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Wed 20 May 2015, 5:33 pm

Nice work on the scratched p[latform Chris.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Thu 04 Jun 2015, 6:22 pm

Well after an age of real life getting in the way and not even having enough enthusiasm to go looking for my mojo i finally pushed myself to do a little work on this.

Got a nice cream gloss on it as a base to work from, and gave the deck a patchy going over with a brown wash, will mottle this further hopefully to simulate some stained marine ply type doodah
Bit of red paint to trim the roof before the "non slip" material goes on

Material (fine wet and dry paper) on and the centre mast installed (as it's the only one finished)

Portholes needed trimming/framed so have used some eyelets painted red, and have left the lower two a brass colour just for a bit of variation.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 5:36 pm

1001The port holes are spot on. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:09 pm

Looking great Colin, nice portholes too.

Me thinks the 'anti-slip' stuff needs some tamping down at the edges though.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:22 pm

yup Al, that will be dealt with when i give it a quick lacquer i think .... or maybe a cocktail stick and superglue?
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   Sat 06 Jun 2015, 12:03 pm

I'm enjoying watching you fellas building ships in this category !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #7 WWII Ships and Sailing ships
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skid's Place :: Community Builds :: Community Build WIP's-
Jump to: