HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Tue 27 Jan 2015, 8:15 pm

This is one that's been sitting stalled in the box for the last 30+ years.  I bought it new, started the build (without the reference of the internet), and when one decal broke up, put it away rather than put it against a wall.  My attention to detail and patience were far less than they are now, so some restoration will be needed where possible.  Use of tube glue is quite evident, dating it as my older work. LOL

I've seen these going for big $ recently on ebay, so I put it in my New Year's resolution to complete.

After having trouble with the first decal, I tried painting the green and red over some of the parts.  It just finished a bath in oven cleaner and primed and it looks OK to proceed.

I picked up another set of decals on ebay, but didn't realize some of the Fujimi models had 'peel n stick' style decals.  I tried one on the backside of a piece and it doesn't look very good.  So, I'll try to scan the remaining Alitalia 'A' that was damaged and mirror it to make a new one, along with the rest of the sheet.

The original Bandai decals - 1977 car.

Replacement Fujimi decals - 1976 car.

Here's a shot of the engine.  My weathering at the time consisted of nothing more than dirtying it up a bit.  Since this won't come apart easy, I'll just leave the internals as they are.  thank goodness I did do a bit of wiring and plumbing back then.

If this is successful, I may match it with the Tamiya Fiat131 Alitalia car that's been sitting in the stash.

Wish me luck as I still hate decalling over difficult curves.
Mike
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Tue 27 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm

Nice start.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
john2308

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Tue 27 Jan 2015, 9:26 pm

Looking good Mike I'm sure you'll pull if off and the detail looks good also
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:55 pm

Good luck with the resto mike. Cool model.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Grouchy

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:09 am

A resto...any resto is ALWAYS good to see. This is 1 I will watch!!
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:25 am

Pretty much my all time fave of the rally cars. Maybe some day I'll get to building one of the 5 or so kits I have! Thanx for warming a fella's heart in Winter!
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Wed 28 Jan 2015, 1:07 am

I can understand completely Mike. I have a stalled build from 1979. I was 12, it was my first Tamiya kit, and first F1 car. Outside my box on many levels at the time. I need to get new decals for it, and rear tires. lol
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Thu 29 Jan 2015, 7:42 pm

Did a little more work on this resto.  Got the white body parts painted with MM Classic White Laquer.

When I looked in the box for the door hinges, I realized part of the reason I shelved this initially.  I cut the doors out to make them functional!  I probably tried to cut the decal too and failed.  At least I did a decent job cutting it.  I'll just have to see what room is available to fashion hinges.

I successfully pried the wheels apart to cover the inner area with BMF to simulate the brake rotors.  Calipers will be scratch built and wheels will be stripped and painted. The residue on them and the tires is from some weathering I attempted back then.

Lightbar and headlights are assembled and painted ready to mount on the hood.

I hope there aren't any more surprises - I don't want to break my resolution so soon. LOL

Thanks all for your comments.
Mike
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Thu 29 Jan 2015, 11:29 pm

Looking good.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Fri 30 Jan 2015, 4:49 pm

I hope things go well. The door hinges may be hard to work into it. Very little body plastic between door and tilt front end.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Sat 31 Jan 2015, 4:23 pm

The body panels and light pod are looking good Mike. Those wheels will look gorgeous too when done bright yellow!

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
A5h

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Sat 31 Jan 2015, 7:09 pm

I do like the Stratos cars with their unusual body shape and from what I can see from here your doing an outstanding job Mike!

I just got the Revell version which I plan on doing this year so will be watching yours to see what I need to try and get near too by the end

Back to top Go down
Art Laski

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Tue 03 Feb 2015, 5:29 am

Looks good, Mike!
Back to top Go down
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   Tue 03 Feb 2015, 7:18 am

You made the white look like paint and not plastic. Great job! I never thought of BMF for the rotors but once lightly scratched they do look the part. I hope you get those hinges sorted out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car   

Back to top Go down

1977 Lancia Stratos HF - Alitalia Rally Car
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1