Share | 

Slingster Dragster

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 2:45 am

Thanks for the kind words guys

Got the A B fired up today and painted the body panels and the trailer with Avon nail polish, Lucky Penny is the name ( First time I used nail polish ) then put 2 coats of clear on it

Body Panels

The trailer

came out pretty good for being the first time I tried nail polish and it has the sparkles also.
Now to start getting it ready for the finish line
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm

Nail polish job came out really well. Like the metallics in it. Great color.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 4:03 pm

Nice , I really like that color. What type of clear did you put over it?
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
Dave from Pleasanton

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 6:15 pm

Beautiful color John along with a monster engine. Will you be using nail polish often?
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:45 pm

Zbuckster wrote:
Nice ,What type of clear did you put over it?

Buck this is the only clear coat I use

it goes over any thing with out any issues, the only thing I've had happen was with one decal and I got the clear a little too thick when spraying and it distorted the decal but that was my fault not the clear coat. It comes already mixed but I add another 25% of thinner anyway. I get it at Auto Zone for 25.00 a quart and lasts a long time

Dave, I'll use more now that I have an idea what it sprays like but not on every one.

For those who might be interested this is my main air brush

the cheapie one from Harbor Freight ( $15.00 ) you can't use the bottles that come with it so I use the glass one's that Badger has ( 20z )

I've got three of them and one came apart where the air hose goes on. You get 5 quick change top's with each AB so I have one for primer only, one for clear only and 10 more for color which I use one for red, one for blue and etc, etc . The nozzles are adjustable for the amount of paint and set the air pressure between 25 to 30 psi and your good to go. They come with a vinyl hose so you need the braided hose for over 15 psi but they have them also.

Well back to modeling
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 1:24 am

Thanks, I am always on the look out for a better clear. Going to look into this for sure.
Back to top Go down
Dave from Pleasanton

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:54 am

John, Harbor Freight has so much junk in amongst the gems that you never know which is which. I'm guessing that the bottles don't handle the lacquer. Are they unusable for acrylics and enamels as well? For $10 I could get two and have extra bottles. I really like the external mix airbrush for its simplicity.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 11:39 am

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm

I have the Paasche single action, external mix Air Brush.  The design has been around for over 100 yrs and is reliable, has replacement parts, cleans easily, and is inexpensive.  The craft chain stores, Hobby Lobby, often carry it and with 40% off coupon it is a no brainer.  
  Re: the quarts of clear lacquer from auto supply stores, I get it can go over nail polish, but how does it go on over other types, water based paints, enamels, etc.?
Back to top Go down
Grouchy

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:41 pm

She is LOOKING SWEEEEET!!!!!

Rick
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:47 pm

Dave from Pleasanton wrote:
John, Harbor Freight has so much junk in amongst the gems that you never know which is which.  I'm guessing that the bottles don't handle the lacquer.  Are they unusable for acrylics and enamels as well?  For $10 I could get two and have extra bottles.  I really like the external mix airbrush for its simplicity.

Dave, I'll go along with you about Harbor Freight and the junk, they have 2 air brushes the quick change that I use and a dual action that is junk ( I got one to try it ) as far as the bottles go as long as you don't use a strong thinner they would be OK for acrylics but I use lacquer thinner for just about every thing, they might be OK with rubbing alcohol ( not the 91% ) I like the Badger glass bottles cause you can use every thing in them with out a problem, they come in a 1oz and a 2oz size and when your done spraying put some thinner in it, wipe the inside dry and its done, ready to use again.

I do have a dual action Badger 150 air brush but don't use it that much just on small things and detail painting and I can't tell the difference between the two after spraying.
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:07 pm

harron68 wrote:
I have the Paasche single action, external mix Air Brush.  The design has been around for over 100 yrs and is reliable, has replacement parts, cleans easily, and is inexpensive.  The craft chain stores, Hobby Lobby, often carry it and with 40% off coupon it is a no brainer.  
  Re: the quarts of clear lacquer from auto supply stores, I get it can go over nail polish, but how does it go on over other types, water based paints, enamels, etc.?

I've used it over enamel, water base, stain, nail polish and even as a sealer for bare wood with out a problem but all auto clear are not the same this is just for the Dupi-Color Paint shop clear that I use.

Air brushes are a matter of choice, when I was looking to get an A B for the first time I tried a Paasche but didn't like the way it felt, tried a Badger and liked the way it felt while spraying so that is what I got in 1972 and still use one today and have spare seals and gaskets for it also along with all four of the tips and needles.

Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Mon 26 Jan 2015, 4:35 am

Had to see what it looked like painted, on the frame and with the eng. in

been working on the chassis but didn't take any pictures yet
Back to top Go down
A5h

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Mon 26 Jan 2015, 10:23 am

Really like the colour, will be nice to see what it looks like complete, so far so good John
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Mon 26 Jan 2015, 5:39 pm

A real eye catcher. Nice work.
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Tue 27 Jan 2015, 2:06 am

I was goofing around and but the slicks on the chassis and set it on the trailer, guess what !!  The trailer is way to wide for this

I could narrow the trailer but I think I'll just build one for the dragster instead  
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Tue 27 Jan 2015, 2:30 am

Back to top Go down
Dave from Pleasanton

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Tue 27 Jan 2015, 4:50 am

Bummer. Hopefully you have more Lucky Penny.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:27 pm

Though it's clear the trailer can still be narrowed, maybe best for a different vehicle. Exhaust headers, especially in white, look more suited to a full bodied car. If they're stuck there, maybe a dark colour would minimize the look. I hope the 2-piece body goes together well, it can be tricky. Warping of long parts be a stinker to overcome. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sat 31 Jan 2015, 11:42 pm

Been on the busy side and didn't get a lot done but here is where I;m at

Got the rest of the frame bars and roll cage in

This is the kit seat which was part of the lower frame

didn't like it so I dug into the parts box and got a seat with a harness molded in

added two side bars for the cage, painted the rest of the chassis, installed the brake cyl. and the steering wheel

Got the rear brakes mounted on the tire assy and glued together
Rear view

Front view

The slicks are Racemaster's from the Revell parts pack, I like the pad printing on them.
Got the kit front tires and wheel's together

and just installed the front axle on the chassis

Got a little work to do on the front axle, paint the springs and the chassis will be done.

Going to start on the trailer and get back on the 49 SD
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 01 Feb 2015, 12:59 am

And here is what she looks like on all four's and the eng. in the chassis

Front view

and I see I need to straighten a couple injector stacks

and sorta the drivers view

Now, on to the trailer I go
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 01 Feb 2015, 1:18 am

Beautiful job! I just finished the AMT Tommy Ivo dragster and have been looking for a rail
dragster. Been wondering about this kit. I also have been looking at the MPC John Milner
"More American Graffiti" dragster. I haven't read the full thread, what is the engine? I
read somewhere it was a Chrysler 392 Hemi, but this don't look it, I am doing a deuce coupe
with a 392. Anyways keep up the good work. Will be looking intently at this one.---John
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 01 Feb 2015, 2:42 am

John, thank you for the nice comment The kit does come with a 392 Hemi but I put a Ford 427 SOHC to be different and I'm a Blue Oval kinda guy

Good Luck on finding the John Milner dragster kit, the last one I seen went for over $100.00 with a rough box but they said it was complete. From what I've heard MPC is reissuing the Jaw Breaker kit which has the same chassis as the Milner but doesn't have the body panels for the dragster and has a Hemi instead of a small block Chevy like Milner ran. their is a resin company that makes the body and I think the chassis also but the rest would have to be found.
Back to top Go down
JohnV
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 01 Feb 2015, 3:25 am

Blue Oval Guy, that's cool, I often wondered why anyone would put a Chevy engine
in a 32 Ford coupe. I currently drive a Ford Ranger pu, but am a Mopar man at heart.
Guess I don't have much room to talk, I am putting a Chrysler hemi in a Ford 32 deuce
coupe myself. What do you use for wiring on your plug wires? It looks more realistic than
the fly tying thread I used.---John
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   Sun 01 Feb 2015, 5:42 am

JohnV wrote:
Blue Oval Guy, that's cool, I often wondered why anyone would put a Chevy engine
in a 32 Ford coupe. I currently drive a Ford Ranger pu, but am a Mopar man at heart.
Guess I don't have much room to talk, I am putting a Chrysler hemi in a Ford 32 deuce
coupe myself. What do you use for wiring on your plug wires? It looks more realistic than
the fly tying thread I used.---John

Guess it's just me but if it's a Ford put a Ford in it and the same for Chevy and Mopar for street and lower class drag racing. I've got a 2001 Ford F-150 my self and it just turned over 100,000 miles.

I do computer work for hobby money and get the wire from old laptops that died, most of it is close to the right size but some is too big to use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slingster Dragster   

Back to top Go down

Slingster Dragster
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next