Admin

PostSubject: Limelight on: john2308   Thu 01 Jan 2015, 9:16 am

John D. Correll

Date of Birth:

Jan. 9, 1945

Place of Residence:

Phoenix, AZ

Retired Auto Tech. and Golf Car Tech
Most occupations come with a few funny anecdotes attached to them, have you any you would like to share with us John?

I'm sure I have had a lot of funny things happen but the only one I can remember happened in 1972.

Had a 71 Pinto towed into the dealership I was working at with a 4 speed tranny that wouldn't move, just a grinding sound, no biggie on taking the tranny out and replacing the cluster gear and bearings.

The funny thing happened when putting it back in the car. With the 2000 4 cylinder engine to get the tranny in or out you have to lift the front of the engine because of where the motor mount are at on the engine.

So here I am with this Pinto on the single post lift, engine lifted as far as I can get without the car coming off the lift fighting to get the tranny back in and was using the same lift I took it out with when it got stuck (couldn't move it forward, back or even roll it sideways) even went and got Russ to help but it wouldn't move at all so we went over to talk to the service manager on what to do next, all three of us are walking back to the Pinto (funny or weird ??) when the tranny fell out on its own, nobody even close, car never moved on the lift and the tranny was fine, not even a mark on it any place from the 6 ft. drop to the shop floor.

I checked the tranny over, picked it up and it slid right in on the first try any worked great on the test drive. I could write a book on things but that's the one I remember right now.

When and how did you first get into modelling and can you remember any of your early builds?

If I remember right I was about 9 when my Mom started me on modelling, she was into crafts and that stuff.

Don't remember what my first kits where but they were plastic. I started building rubber band powered flyable balsa airplanes and they even flew after I learned to trim and balance them. Got into the gas powered control line planes for a while then started building the model car kits  (plastic).

I had a model train layout that my mom built when I was about 6 years old and got into HO trains off and on and still like that today. I've built cars, airplanes, HO slot cars, Radio control airplanes and cars and about 5 HO train layouts in my life span so far.

What advice would you offer to a youngster just starting out in our great hobby?

That's a tough question.

I would advise them to find something that they are interested in, car, airplanes, ships, trains or whatever it is to start at a low level kit and build the experience from there. You don't find many kids today that are interested in modelling to start with and when I do I don't push them into it, talk to them and make it simple so they can start at their own speed and when they need to know something help them out in a simple way until they get a couple built and if still interested then keep helping them, some day you might be asking them for help.

What sports do you watch and do you compete in any sports?

I watch very little if any TV but I'll watch NASCAR once in a while for a little bit, follow drag racing on the computer. The last time I did sports was drag racing and my last year was 1983 unless you call drinking beer a sport

You mention you used to compete in drag racing John. Would you care to tell us about that please?

It started in 1962 being the crew on a Ford gasser, a 56 Ford sedan with a 390 cid. and a 4 speed tranny owned and driven by Richard who was teaching me the ropes on being a mechanic that got my feet wet and got into my blood.

Right before I went into the Navy in 63 I bought a 63 1/2 Ford Fastback with the 425 hp. 427 cid. , 4 spd and 411's with a locker and ran it sometimes when I came home on leave, the best I ever got was 12.08 E.T. but it was fun, sold it in 65 to a friend that raced it a lot. In 69 got back into drag racing with a 64 Falcon conv, 170 cid 6 cylinder and the factory German 4 sped, ran it for a while then but a 200 cid. 6 cylinder in it with a 250 cid head, 3 single barrel carbs, split headers and changed it over to 5 lug wheel bolt pattern with an 8" Ford rear end out of a V-8 Mustang with 4.30 gears and would run in the low 16's.

Got in with a couple of guys that had a F E D with an smc in it, got my feet wet with the dragster then went with Steve and built a F E D with a 427 SOHC on gas, thought about nitro a couple of times but never happened, got it into the low 9's often, ran that for 4yrs at Quaker City Raceway in Ohio and sometimes at Drag way 42 in Ohio.

My last car was a 65 Mustang Fastback set up for D/G but by the time I got it finished NHRA did away with the gas classes so I just bracket raced her for a couple of yrs off & on. Had a 289, boss 302 block and heads, 289 Hipo crank, crane .772 lift roller cam, Wein Tunnel ram with 2 650 cfm Holley's, Ford top loader 4 speed, Ford 9" rear end with 4.30 gears, 13" wide X 31: tall slicks, Center Line wheels on all four and would run 9.63 ET at 144 MPH. Sold the Mustang in 1983 and haven't done any racing since. That about it for drag racing but street racing is a different story but we won't go there.

If you could meet anyone from history, who would it be and what would you ask them?

I can't think of anyone.

Throughout our lives, various people influence us. Who would you say had the most influence on your life and why?

I would have to say it was my Dad, he showed be the value of being honest, hardworking and never give up on what you believe in. Oh! and never give a bug a break also.

Assuming you came into mega money (Gazillions) what would be at the top of your list of things to do that you always wanted to do but could not afford?

That's a tough one, I've already done everything on my bucket list plus a couple that got added. How about a trip into outer space and back. That would be cool

What type of music do you favour and who are your favourite artistes?

I like the old country (George Jones, Johnny Cash etc.) and the old rock n roll (Chuck Berry, Bee Gees etc.) and some of the later country, rock n roll, some disco songs also.
I really don't have a favorite artist, I have over 1200 cd's and they go from Roy Acuff to Faron Young in country and in rock n roll they go from Aerosmith to Frank Zappa.

Which  are your favourite foods and drinks?

As far as food goes I would say just about any, I've tried them all and liked them all.
Drinks, other than the normal coffee, soda and water I enjoy a cool beer (not ice cold either) J.D. Black label and I used to like rum and coke but I found out the coke was getting me drunk so I switched to rum and water and I like it better.

Who is your favourite author and what genre of fiction do you favour.?

I don't read books or novels.

Marooned on a desert island which luxury item and which essential item would you take with you and why?? (No means of communicating with the outside world is permitted)

Luxury item: a hammock, so I won't be sleeping on the ground.
Essential item: a big bowie knife for hunting, making spears for fishing and cutting wood for fire.

If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be and why would you like to go there?

I would have to say Spain, was there for two days when I was in the Navy and is a very interesting country, go back to learn more about the life style they have and the customs of the country.

How many built models do you have in your collection, which are your favourites and why?

I only have about 12 finished with about 25 in different stages of progress. The one that got me back into the hobby is one of the favorites, well I tried to bring Photobucket up but not responding right now so it is on here under 57 Corvette drag car in the finished section. They are all my favorites in one way or another.

Which are you favourite films?

The top favorite film in my book is The Shinning with Jack Nicolson and about any of his films.

What is your favourite car/bike/plane?

An easy question to answer, Any Ford, some of the newer ones I don't much care for but their still a Ford. Planes; The A-4C Sky Hawk, Navy's lil hot rod, wouldn't pull Mach 1 ( .9 max ) but you could turn it on a dime and get 9 cents change.

If you could change something about our hobby, what would it be and why?

As far as the new technichal things, nothing. Would like to see the company's bring back out the old kits (which some are doing) that haven't been around for 15 to 20 years. I would love to see younger kids get involved with the hobby so it can expand and grow more than it has.

If you could have one wish granted to you, what would it be?

A complete over haul on my body with new parts.

What was the daftest thing you ever did that you care to admit too?

Getting Married.

Finally, is there anything else you would like to add?

Can't think of anything else to add but to say thank you for Skids Place, it's a good place to hang out and meet follow builders in different countries.

Many thanks John, it’s been a pleasure interviewing you for ‘In the Limelight’.
[/b]

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown

Last edited by Skid on Sun 31 May 2015, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: john2308   Thu 01 Jan 2015, 5:06 pm

John, thanks for taking the time to be "In the Limelight". It is great to learn more about you, your background and your modeling experiences.

Also thanks for spearheading this Al!
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: john2308   Thu 01 Jan 2015, 5:18 pm

Great interview. Nice to learn more about you, John.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: john2308   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 8:21 pm

Back to top Go down
coyote
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: john2308   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 11:34 pm

Thanks John, interesting life!
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: john2308   Sat 03 Jan 2015, 3:29 am

Thanks John & Al!  John, did you work/fly on the A-4? I like Phoenix, lots of plane spotting there, & friendly locals too.
I spent 3 days there back on 2012. Had ball too.
Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: john2308   Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:24 pm

Hi John,

Great interview Sir and lovely to get to know you a bit more...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Limelight on: john2308   

Back to top Go down

Limelight on: john2308
Page 1 of 1