Share | 

Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Sun 4 Jan - 19:28

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Sun 4 Jan - 19:30

Interesting idea on the pie cut Clay. Nice work on the struts Colin.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Sun 4 Jan - 19:34

Thanks Buck

Sorry Clay you posted as i was a writin'

I like the idea of cutting the section out, wouldn't like to attempt it myself though !!!
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Sun 4 Jan - 23:36

Go for the pie section Clay.

Nice shockers Colin. That's a good looking engine too although for a more 'performace' look, I'd go with scoops on the Stromberg carbs.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Mon 5 Jan - 0:47

Those 3 Strombergs are gorgeous !!!
Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Mon 5 Jan - 0:54

I'm finally making a bit of a recovery with the case of bronchitis I have been fighting for the last 10 days.  Consequently I have been able to get some work done on the 40 Coupe.

First the engine and chassis:

The interior:

The body and the wheels.  The body will be classic white.  I also decided to go with painted steelie wheels and wide white wall tires from my parts box.

That's it for today.  Hopefully I can get the first color coat on it tomorrow.  I will be using fingernail polish ---- Sinful Colors  #101  Snow Me White.

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Mon 5 Jan - 1:10

That's Beautiful John !
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Mon 5 Jan - 1:34

Geezerman wrote:
Those 3 Strombergs are gorgeous !!!  

Aren't they just Clay. On looks, they beat a modern day turbocharger hands down.

I made up a transmission cover from a piece of clear tube and a piece of styrene.

There are gaps all over this thing and while I don't mind fixing problems, neither am I keen on spending too much time on a crappy kit, unless it really piques my interest.

So I'm going for an all over black paint job.  

To that end, the bed is installed as are the rear wings. The rest is mocked up. I'm giving it a pair of pie crust tyres too.

Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Mon 5 Jan - 2:49

I agree on how beautiful the three Strombergs look!! Reminds me of how nice a VW engine looks with dual 48IDA Webers!!

The pie slice will look great, and add a nice rake to the roofline Clay.

Nice work on your interior John.

Al, looks like you are having fun with the rework!

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Mon 5 Jan - 3:06

Okay it's past time for me to be posting what I am doing on this build.

Started out with this kit. The intent is to build a late 50's early 60's type street rod. Not a racer but a cruiser.

Also going to use one of the Revell Parts Pack engines. The 354 inch Caddy, with the 6 Strombergs for the intake.

Going to try to use the Type "R" Hydr-o-matic but if all else fails I will use the little In and Out box that they give you for the drag race version.

Got the Frame all cleaned up and MEK'ed together. I used the floor boards to hold everything true while the MEK Set.

The engine was all chrome:

So most of the parts came off the Spruce and went into the bleach tub for an hour. Then they were rinsed off with warm water and dried.

So now I will MEK the engine pieces together enough so that I can do a mock up to see how it fits into the 40 engine bay. To Tell the truth it looks like it will be tight.  There is no plan B so it's going in one way or another.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Mon 5 Jan - 16:16

Looks good Buck .... although there's always a plan B .... B stands for "bucket" in my cave :)

I've chopped all the extra braces etc off the diff and shaft, as the shaft was meant to be located quite close to the body there's no detail on the top end (which i thing you'll see when i've re positioned it my way).

So i've had to fill it .... length of rod i cut away beforehand and a 1/35 British Helmet from the spares box.... it'll sand down nicely methinks after a bit of filler.

Having to add some extra metalwork to the chassis to incorporate the leafspring supports.

Made up the rear end so i can get a good idea where the axles need to be as i'm lifting it the equivalent of 12 inches (ish)
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Mon 5 Jan - 18:11

Good use for that helmet, Snake.
Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Mon 5 Jan - 18:59

Got the color coat on the coupe this morning.

I should be able to clear it later today.

Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 6 Jan - 1:46

pete s wrote:
Al, looks like you are having fun with the rework!

Ya think? Crap kit it may be but you are right, it's fun making it work!!!

Colin.... I pitty the poor Tommy who is missing his helmet. Nice one!!

Buck.... I like your concept.

John.... It's looking good. I like the white. You should get bronchitus more often, you build faster when you have it!!! LOL

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 6 Jan - 5:00

Looks like everyone is having fun so far.  Cool to see the trucks going in different directions.

I'll be reverse engineering mine somewhat by raising the stance of the front end.  I don't really like the ground scraping look.  

There's a fit problem with the hood.  When the front tip of the hood contacts the fender it leaves a gap at the rear and also tips forward leaving a gap at the cowl.

I cured the fit problem by filing off the pads the front of the cab sets on (arrow).  It allows the cab to sit lower in the front, tightening up the gap.

I had to squeeze the grill together a bit and bend it to fit inside the grooves of the fenders.  It fits deeper in and matches with the lines of the hood better. The fenders need to be squeezed together slightly at the top to bring them together.  That'll be dealt with when fenders are attached to chassis.

Great work, everyone.

Mike
Back to top Go down
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 6 Jan - 5:22

I'm going to try and squeeze this in. I've got several races to do in Florida in Jan and Feb., but I'll try.

It's a pretty crude kit, but I'm going to cut it up a lot. Ordered some engine parts. Haven't come in yet.
Back to top Go down
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 6 Jan - 5:48

You guys are doing some fantastic work here.
John you did that pretty damn fast. Great results too.

This is gonna be quote the group build
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 6 Jan - 5:51

I started mine 4 days ago, took about 10 pictures in 3 days then went to down load to the computer and they where gone from the card and I didn't delete them either. First time that has happened so I just started again with where I was at and try to explain what's going on.

To get the look I wanted I took the frame and cut it behind the tranny mount and removed the floor panels which made the frame thinner then took some .015 plastic and made a new one which let the body and fenders sit about .35 lower over the frame

made the side rails and a stiffener to the front of the rear fenders

went to the parts box and found a Ford 9" rear end ( I think it's from a Mustang AFX kit ) Put the fender assy. on and started to make the rest of the frame

then did a mock up for a stance check which is close to what I'm looking for

Got to looking at the room in the rear fenders and said " Hey, there's room for some fatties ! " so dug around in the tire shop and came up with these

That 427 will like them.  Been working on the 427 and got a lot done on it

the exhaust manifolds and exhaust pipes are going to be used and the air filter also, I lost one of the carb's and replaced them with a resin set I had. Still have to put the dist. valve cover's, exhaust manifolds and oil filter on with the pulley's, belt and alternator and it's done.
Cut the frame pan so the engine fits and had to see how it looked as far as room goes

With just the fenders on the frame

With the fenders and body on

This is going to be a support vehicle for a dragster of some kind so you have to have a hitch for the trailer

I might redo the hitch and make it thicker for the heavy load it's to pull.

I got the fenders, body, hood and rear door ready for primer, they are already fitted and notched where needed so will do that this week I hope  
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 6 Jan - 11:52

By-gum, things are moving along fast on the '40 Fords, guys.
I'm liking those wide whites and painted steel wheels, John.
I can't imagine what a jacked up '40 will look like, but that's thinking outside of the box, Colin.
With your 'imagineering', I know yours will be special, Clay.
Sombreros? You certainly know your hot rod jargon Al, and yes, the Galaxie hub caps are staying.

But, I'm out of this build.
After a hospital check on my eye yesterday morning, it looks like I might have to go under the laser again,
and I have to avoid eye strain. Confirmation due at another appointment in a couple of weeks time.

So in the afternoon I put the models away, and decided to fit a new garden gate instead,
- then I ran a drill through my left thumb, which meant another visit to hospital.

Bummer ! ...Now I can't even pull my own pants up!
Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 6 Jan - 19:16

I like "outside the box" Ron..... hope all goes well with the optical treatment ...
oh yeah .... and just don't wear pants ..lol.

Needed some leaf springs to do what i want with the ford so i had a go at making some..

Got some thin strips of styrene cut at differing lengths

glued them together as per what a leafy looks like

added some end tubes (didn't fancy trying to scroll the ends)

Made the ties out of card

Painted black

Drybrushed to highlight and weathered slightly with a dark rust colour

Quite chuffed with them....
Back to top Go down
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 6 Jan - 19:19

Sweet. Better than any kit part.
Back to top Go down
wisdonm
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Wed 7 Jan - 0:03

Can't leave well enough alone. Off with it's head.

Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Wed 7 Jan - 4:53

Here is the finished Coupe.  There are a couple of rough spots, but I think overall it came out pretty good.

This case of bronchitis I have had has kept me house bound since Christmas.  Consequently I have been able to get this done in a hurry.  Hope you guys like it.

Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Wed 7 Jan - 5:12

Colin: Absolutely great job on those springs. Talk about realism!!

Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Wed 7 Jan - 5:58

I agree with Al, illness makes you a faster builder!!! In all seriousness, this looks great John. Nice touch with the contrasting wheels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next