Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Sam

PostSubject: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:30 am

2015 marks the 75th anniversary of the 1940 ford. The 1940 ford styling is one of the most Iconic Ford designs of all time. So what better way to start off the new year than by building one. The kits are readily available in Coupes, Sedan Deliveries, Tudor sedans (its boxed as a 1939 but with minor changes, its a 1940), and even a Pickup. I also remember seeing a four door sedan body available in resin. You can build it stock, custom, drag, or hot/street/rat rod, etc. The build starts Jan 1st and runs through the end of Feb. I know everyone is getting antsy to get started, so 'have at it boys"

Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 30 Dec 2014, 9:08 am

The green flag is down!!! Yay!!

I'm concurrently doing another 'weathered' build with Johnj, so have decided against the junker sedan. Instead I'm going to do this one:

Not sure of the colour/s yet and I may do it as flatbed. We'll see.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 30 Dec 2014, 11:47 am

Sorry I jumped the gun on this one guys, but I haven't built anything for weeks, since my eye op,
and after collecting pictorial info I just got the urge and thought ; what the heck !
But you know what they say : It's not the starting that counts, it's the finishing.

The nice car supports came with the tools in the Tamiya Mechanics set that I was given for Chrissymas, Ash.

And without doubt, the newer Revell moulding of the pickup is superior to the old AMT kit,
where the '40 Standard grille looks a whole lot better - as can be compared here:

Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:03 pm

All is good Ron.  I'm sick with a respiratory problem and still was itching to get started too.  Here's where I'm going.

This 40 Standard Coupe was my first car.  I'm going to build it as a replica of that car.

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 30 Dec 2014, 7:39 pm

Out and at it early this morning !!
First, my usual disclaimer,that I'm about as shallow as they come. I build my models to be seen on a shelf and look as good as possible in photographs. Not real interested what goes on from the sewer view other than making stuff work together. Wasn't planning on getting radical.
I want it low but was too lazy to try to Z the rear end. So I dug out a  bagged rear end. come to find out that Zing the rear may have been easier. But I got it down where I want it it, even though it ain't pretty.  

Now to get the front slammed. The kit's dropped axle with the through wire rod makes the front look as high as a gasser. Tomorrow, I'll address that issue !!
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Tue 30 Dec 2014, 7:42 pm

I probably should add that I admire and respect the modelers who build complete brake line systems and so forth. Just not for me.

Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Wed 31 Dec 2014, 8:59 pm

Not a lot of progress today.
I'm working on the front cross member for the front axle.
However, the 303 Olds engine in the kit is getting a small change. I found some Big block Chev heads and valve covers in my generously restocked salvage yard.  I had to shorten that tall oil filler tube (?) to clear an alternator, also from the salvage.  
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Thu 01 Jan 2015, 6:31 pm

Here is my attempt on some thing of a 40 Ford, not sure what I'll be doing with it yet but will figure it out as I go

Parts count

and I'm going to see if I can get this 427 Ford under the hood

I've got the eng. being dechromed now so will start when that gets done
Back to top Go down
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Thu 01 Jan 2015, 8:15 pm

Some nice kits to be built here. I will keep an eye open for your progress guys.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 12:39 am

The underside doesn't matter to much to me either Clay, just 'git her down'.

The engine in my kit is one of those horrible amprphos blobs of a flattie V8 with molded in everything. YUCK!!!

So like John2308 I'm going to use a Revell Parts Pack 427 Ford Competition engine, given to me by JohnJ when I visited him, back in August.

John, it took 24hrs soaking in bleach to strip mine. Even then there were still some tiny bits remaining. Tough stff!!

Now the fun starts.

What on earth is all this about:

I assume it must have originally been a curbside promo, but why now show the chassis and engine being fitted to the bodywork with that cross brace in place. It's impossible.!! LOL

The new engine is a pretty good fit in the chassis but will still need some work to get it to fit properly.

The same cannot be said for the floor though. Going to need some major surgey methinks:

Back to top Go down
JohnJ

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 2:51 am

Revell did use the good stuff when they chromed those parts packs.  I've had the same problem getting it off the engines I've used.  I did find though that Easy-Off oven cleaner cuts the chrome better.

Must say, I'm not at all impressed with the looks of the kit judging from your photos. On top of the blob of an engine those front fenders have parting lines on them that look like they REALLY stand out. They're not to be out done by the front bumper brackets that look like they are a couple of scale inches thick. You really have your work cut out for you Bro. The fortunate thing is I know you can fix it.

"My second childhood is so much more fun than my first."
Back to top Go down
Shelby
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 4:29 am

Sheeesh Al you got yourself a winner of a kit but it's in good hands. I hope the rest of the kit gets better.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 5:19 am

I went for one of these also.

I saw Al's post and started looking at different fit issues.  I'm assuming his floor issue is because of the 427 he's putting in.  The tricky fit area i"m seeing is lining up the cab/front fenders/firewall/hood/grill together.  Found out there's a large injection mark underneath the hood raising it off the firewall, but even after filing that down, there's still a small gap between hood and fenders.  It gets worse if you try to put the grill in place.  To make the hood contact the grill, it must be angled downward in the front leaving a gap between the hood and cowl.  It's almost as if the front of the cab should mount lower in their slots.

Looks like this will be fun.

Mike

Stalled builds I’ve resolved to complete in 2015:

Entex 1/16 1928 Mercedes SS Sonder Cabriolet
Monogram 1/25 1931 Ford Tudor
Monogram 1/24 1958 Corvette
Tamiya 1/24 Ferrari Dino 246GT
Pyro HMS Bounty
Pyro Brig of war

Current Projects:

Roden 1/72 SE5a
Revell 1/24 1940 Pickup

Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 11:34 am

I didn't encounter any of those problems when I built the 40 PU.  (giggle)  

[/font][/font][/font]
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 12:09 pm

Rusty pickup shows the talent of an artist. I can't believe how lousy the molded-in flathead is with exhaust, starter, etc just ugly blobs. Some newer models look as crude as ones 60 yrs ago! Keep up with the improvements, thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 2:47 pm

Im not sure if anyones seen this model before, not many of them around apparently LOL !!!!

I've got to think of something different to do with it ....

Maybe a reverse Ferrari or Lambo engine in it, or maybe mount the engine exposed in the bed and have it chain drive ....... hmmmmm
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 3:21 pm

That's one way to solve an alignment problem.  
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 8:16 pm

I've just checked the motor in my Revell '40 Pickup, and it is rubbish - but I like the beak hood.

I'm onto my third bonnet (sorry, hood) of my sedan, and I hope I have figured it out,
but it'll need some careful filling and sanding.
With only one bonnet/hood left, I'll have to try and get this one right.

Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk
Dave from Pleasanton

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Fri 02 Jan 2015, 9:11 pm

The problem with the Revell pickup is the instructions. I have an earlier version (2720) and it shows that you remove the cross piece.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Sun 04 Jan 2015, 12:15 am

Rare kit indeed Colin!!!

Still not speaking to you Ron!! . Looks good. You going to use the Sombreros?

I got the engine in but only with some jiggery pokery. Had to cut the front bulkhead , so now the rocker covers protrude into the cab. I also had to make a new floor.

I'm winging this as I go, so now I have to figure out and engine cover for the cab interior!!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Sun 04 Jan 2015, 2:05 pm

Ok then most seem to be going for a proper stance or "slamming" it so i'm going to go the other way and raise the whole lot up, fit knobbly tyres and give it a 4x4 look (although it'll only be rear wheel drive using the kit motor)

And a little help for me being "a bit fick on US stuffs" ........ I take it this is what i'm suppose to be getting the motor to look like ???

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Sun 04 Jan 2015, 2:16 pm

I suppose for a "modern" look for a flathead it's very good. For an "old school" look, probably a generator instead of the very visible alternator and an old style "split" distributor. However, I yield to folks with more knowledge on old flatties.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Sun 04 Jan 2015, 3:17 pm

Quite a setback on the engine, Al. You can make it work.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Sun 04 Jan 2015, 5:42 pm

Happy new year to me !
Today got me to wondering why I fight this mismatched stuff all the time !

I guess that answer is, that I just can't do mainstream assembling and give up my individualiy. I have to mess with even new kits when I get one.

OK, The wheels I chose, and had the whole rear end set to go, caused me to FUBAR the 5K deep dish steelies while trying to mount them! DAM hollow tires again !!
Went deep into the salvage yard, found another bagged rear end and dug out a set of 5K resin 'Cragars" and a set of slicks that fit. Rear end is a little different so I'll have to locate it differently.

Also, in the background, notice the marks on the body. My intention was to pie cut section it to get a little more rake (green wedge shape). Not too sure if I want to go that route. I must be getting old !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   Sun 04 Jan 2015, 5:59 pm

As the destructions are basically out the window on my build, i'll be starting with the chassis/suspension/running gear.
Will be needing some extended struts so made some up out of tube, will cut the thinner rod to length when i get the chassis mocked up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #6 75th Anniversary of the 1940 Ford
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 13Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next