Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Starting a couple of old dragsters .........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Old Coyote
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 28 Jul 2014, 4:22 pm

I have wanted to build these cars for years, but have really been reluctant to start .............. not sure I have the expertise to replicate either one  

The first is John Milner's dragster from the More American Graffiti movie ............ and with the proper small block Chevrolet enging instead of the abortions provided in the kit ............ the other issue with this kit is the horrible seam down the middle of the body .......... the only way I could see to address that issue was to cut the cowl off the body halves and putty and fill the body ............. that would allow me to slide the chassis into the repaired body ........... here's where I stand on this one

The second car is the first dragster I ever saw .......... as a 13 year old at the opening race at Amarillo Dragway in April 1960 ........... it was Jim Nelson & Dode Martin's Dragmaster powered by a blown small block Chevrolet ............ outran Raymond Godman's Tennessee Boll-Weevil A/MR for the Top Eliminator title that day ......... using the Mickey Thompson Attempt 1 kit (it has a Dragmaster chassis) ............ had to widen the front engine mount to accommodate the width of the Chevy V-8

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 28 Jul 2014, 5:34 pm

Good Projects. I used to race in Division 2 "Buster's Rebels" and have many fond memories of Raymond Godman and his Tennessee Boll Weevil cars.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 28 Jul 2014, 5:54 pm

Nice start. Looking forward to both of them.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:16 pm

Great subjects !!
Back to top Go down
Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:23 pm

Looks a good start!
Back to top Go down
Tumbler75
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 28 Jul 2014, 7:48 pm

Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 28 Jul 2014, 9:36 pm

Looking good on both projects   
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 28 Jul 2014, 11:38 pm

To have been there in the early days (1960) pure magic! No wonder you're still passionate. Thanx for these projects!
Back to top Go down
Old Coyote
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 04 Aug 2014, 11:49 am

Haven't been able to accomplish too much on either car this week .......... busy at work and very little painting weather ............ started kit-bashing together an engine for the Dragmaster and got a little satin black on the basic chassis unit,  removed the second roll cage hoop which was common on later Dragmaster cars ............ also found a set of Dragmaster headers for the little beast .......... not satisfied with the injector and scoop........... injectors look too tall

also started kit-bashing a small block Chevy for the John Milner dragster .............

Back to top Go down
Old Coyote
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 04 Aug 2014, 11:55 am

... spent most of the afternoon fiddling with the Dragmaster ............. got the Hilborn 2-port cut down and it looks much better ................ got the front and rear ends installed and the tires and wheels are mocked up ............... body panels are just placed on the chassis, not attached ........... will need to trim off the side wings on the body as the dragsters didn't have this feature that Mickey Thompson's Attempt 1 did ................. engine is still being tinkered with ............ getting closer but I'm still not satisfied with the look ................ have to find some different wheels, those Attempt 1 rears look really funky

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 04 Aug 2014, 6:17 pm

Looking good on both. I know what you mean about the wheels on the Attempt 1. They are period correct but not my favorite wheel either.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 04 Aug 2014, 6:42 pm

Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Mon 04 Aug 2014, 11:21 pm

Lookin good !!

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Tue 05 Aug 2014, 1:53 pm

Whoa MAMA! Looking righteous! Funny how seeing the dragmaster one, I'll have to google dragsters of the era to see what was the look. Time fades memory and I rarely went to strips. Thanx for your smart retro-izing and knowledge and skills!
Back to top Go down
Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Tue 05 Aug 2014, 5:10 pm

Very nice job done.
Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Tue 05 Aug 2014, 6:15 pm

Like the Dragmaster chassis.

This brings back old memories, as the Dragmaster facility was in my hometown of Carlsbad California. Used to go down there on the weekends just to see what they were working on. In high school I took auto shop and did a Dodge Ram hemi rebuild. Dragmaster did the machine work on the engine! Small shop, but they turned out nice stuff!!
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Tue 05 Aug 2014, 7:39 pm

I like the front engined dragsters, and these two float my boat.

Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk
Old Coyote
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Thu 07 Aug 2014, 1:01 am

Did some more "piddling" on the Dragmaster ............ removed the "side wings" from the body ........... found a pair of period correct Halibrand wheels ................. did some more work on the engine and pretty much completed the basic chassis ............

now on to some red paint for the body parts ....................
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   Thu 07 Aug 2014, 3:27 am

, liking that engine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting a couple of old dragsters .........   

Back to top Go down

Starting a couple of old dragsters .........
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1