Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Mon 05 May 2014, 5:15 am

I would use the rear end that fits the chassis. it will be the easiest way to go.

Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Mon 05 May 2014, 3:48 pm

Some progress on the Keeling & Clayton dragster over a rainy weekend.

Chassis is ready to graft in the brass roll hoop. Photos to follow. Body needs the edges thinned (for looks), and then is ready for primer.

Got a bunch of the machining done, with completing the revised engine pulleys, the fuel cell fill cap, the steering hub and the clutch housing. Here is a photo of the clutch mostly complete, showing the compound slide on the lathe for the 45 degree taper on the housing:

I am holding the plastic piece. A thin brass or aluminum piece for the clutch access cover will need forming. Still not sure which part I will use, but will work on both.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Mon 05 May 2014, 4:32 pm

Nice Pete. That scatter shield looks great.
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Mon 05 May 2014, 6:42 pm

There appears to be a lot of fine work going into this community build - I'd better try and catch up,
but giving up the luxury of retirement to do a few signwriting jobs is playing havoc with my modelling time.
Here is what I have done so far...

First coats of paint on the bodies - showing sink marks that will have to be filled,
and a quick mock up of how it will look....first moments of launch...digging in, nose up !
I'll be using the driver figures kindly donated by Clay.

Last edited by dadooronron on Tue 06 May 2014, 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Mon 05 May 2014, 7:52 pm

Looks great.
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Mon 05 May 2014, 9:16 pm

Looks good Ron   
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 06 May 2014, 1:20 pm

even better in sepia..

Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 06 May 2014, 3:35 pm

like the work going on so far ......

my little progress ....

engine in very basic chassis (which i changed as the first idea went all squew wiff ), dizzies wired up and ready to be attached to engine need to make some little clamps as i think this was in the rules (i.e. not to have HT leads loose)

got the coils wired ready and made a fireproof board to go in between driver and engine (to which the coils, battery and electrics will be attached)

made an air filter (quite pleased with how this turned out)
the carbs are very simple and i might add a few lever arms etc.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 06 May 2014, 5:23 pm

Coming right along Colin. Looking good.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 06 May 2014, 10:42 pm

Nice work everyone.

I'm laid low with a bug right neo, so I'll have to catch up later.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 06 May 2014, 11:30 pm

Got some work done on the engine. I wanted to do a mock up and see what the colors would look like all together.

I painted the intake with magnesium paint. I can remember back in the 60's and early 70's when they used a lot of magnesium in drag car parts. Then when the cars would catch on fire all you could do was watch them burn. Magnesium contains enough Oxygen to keep it's self going until it burns out. In modern drag cars it's not allowed.
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Wed 07 May 2014, 2:26 am

I got some fitting done and a mock up just because   

Got the front axle moved back, had to go more than what I thought

Got the SOHC 427 fitted and set close to where it goes

set the front and rear body supports in and got them adjusted for the stance

I might bring the rear end up just a little, not sure but I think I'm ready to get building since I have things pretty well figured out   
Back to top Go down
2whl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Wed 07 May 2014, 2:57 am

Some nice work going on !!!

I was planning to build a 1/16th funny car, but the need to fabricate a lot of stuff meant I would not be able to complete it in the two months.  So I'm switching over to this car.   I've been wanting to replace my first Hawaiian that died in the recent earthquake

The body needed to be modified to replicate the real car by opening up the wheel arches.

I've gotten most of the parts off the sprues and cleaned up.  Also got the chassis pieces ready for paint.

2010 A=126 B=8 C=22......2011 A=104 B=15 C=69....2012 A=122 B=15 C=128
2013 A=121 B=5 C=130....2014 A=82 B=3 C=168......2015 A=65 B=1 C=123
2016 A=33 B=10 C=107....2017 A=29  B=2  C=81
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Wed 07 May 2014, 1:56 pm

All kinds of fine work going on here, and I'm mostly stuck in the kitchen right now.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Wed 07 May 2014, 5:20 pm

Great looking funny cars.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 08 May 2014, 3:27 am

Cool stuff. Fabricating pieces, research on the Net...haven't times changed! I think the Mickey Thompson back then had a titanium frame and guys with the chrome-moly steel frames were worried the Mickey car would blow everybody away. Not so! So many things go into winning events! Thanx to all for the work and time, and fotos!
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 08 May 2014, 8:28 am

Great stuff everyone,

Sorry, no progress guys.

Laid low with what the ladies like to call 'Man Flu' for the last few days, add in the fact that we are in the middle of having our en suite shower room converted into a wet room and all my energy is gone!!

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 08 May 2014, 12:32 pm

"No prob, Lionel," as one of the British sitcom characters said. Get well, the cars raced, but we don't HAVE to. "Man flu," a new one to me.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 08 May 2014, 3:48 pm

Get well, Al.

While looking into detail pics for scratchbuilding the pro-stock hood scoop, I noticed different configurations of Grumpy's Toy existed.  I know he experimented with hood scoop styles, but there also were changes in front end sheetmetal.  I haven't read anywhere if a second car ever existed.

This is the car that went up on Mecum's auction recently.  It has the RS front end with parking lights next to the headlights and short two-piece bumpers.  The lower valence doesn't have the recess for a license plate under the right bumper.  I've also seen this front end in pics taken during races.

This is another version with the almost base front sheetmetal.  The parking lights below would normally come with a 1-piece bumper running completely across the front end.  Also there is no front spoiler, but it has a rear spoiler.  It could be that this was an early rendition of the car, since the 70-1/2 Camaro wasn't released until January 1970 and the Hot Rod Magazine article was on the stands before July 70.

I got a few things primed.  The valence is from the RS car and I’ll have to fill the license recess on the side.

The real car also didn’t have front side marker lights, so they’ll be filled in.  Don’t know if that might indicate that they acid dipped the front end – never documented, but was practiced back then for weight removal.

Found a suitable big block in the parts stash along with a good looking tunnel ram.  However, I couldn’t find any decent Holley 750 carbs anywhere – they all look toyish.  A look online for resin pieces didn’t turn anything up either.  If anyone knows of a source, I’d appreciate a link. Block is painted black with aluminum heads, intake and water pump. More detailing to come.

Coming along slowly.

Thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 08 May 2014, 5:49 pm

Nice start on the Camaro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 08 May 2014, 5:57 pm

Good stuff so far here.

my little bit of progress for today

got the coils, battery, petrol pump all scratch built and in situ on the fire sheild.
The wiring and petrol pipes just need cutting to size when the shield installed on the chassis and extra wiring to the pump and engine will be added then too.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 08 May 2014, 8:36 pm

Nice wiring.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 09 May 2014, 4:02 am

Been plugging away on this one. Kinda going it a hit and miss manner. I know I was just working on the engine, but I moved on to the interior tub. Also started the chassis by painting it Gloss black and then a couple coats of Clear.

While I had the back paint out I shot the interior tub and then two coats of Dullcoat. When it was done there was hardly any detail of the safety harness left. Tony Nancy's Upholstery work show up fine.

So I decided to sue an Aftermarket Safety Harness to make it look better. I have always like the PTMC 17 set from Pro Tech. You use regular paper for the belts. This let's you paint the paper as you wish. I am not sure what year the Simpson came out with the Red and Blue belts but went with the Red to match the body color that will be on it soon (I Hope).

Started out by cutting some .096 slots in the seat for the belts to pass through. I just drilled a .025" hole on each end of the molded in belt and then used an Exacto knife #11 blade to connect the dots.

Then paint the parts of the harness that would have belt in them Flat Red same as the belts.

Following the pictures on the harness package I put the ends on the belts and then cut them from the tree. Much easier that way these things are tiny. When it was all done it looked like this.

Looks much better. I am going to see if I can find a couple little Simpson decals to go on the belts. I think the blue Simpson Logo will add a lot of detail to the interior. Now back to the engine. I am going to attempt to foil the chrome parts of the blower, just to see if I can. If it doesn't look good I will hunt up a chrome blower and paint the inner panels Red to match the body.

All question and comments are welcome.
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 09 May 2014, 4:46 am

Looking good Buck   

Every body is coming along good also   
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 09 May 2014, 2:21 pm

Lotsa work goin' on here.

Nice job on the belts, Buck. They're a great improvement.

Colin, very good work on the wiring/plumbing. Looking good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skid's Place :: Community Builds :: Community Build WIP's-
Jump to: