HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:15 pm

That's a great looking engine Mike!!

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 07 Jun 2014, 12:36 am

You are right, Jake King was a cool guy. Had a sense of humor that was all his own. Great looking engine.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 07 Jun 2014, 6:14 am

Got a little done on the front body panel, took a parts 69 Mustang body and cut the front off and worked in on the funny car body, here is a pict of the orig. front (right one) and the modified one (left one)

test fitting the body tin and found this

just a little gap so have to figure out how to correct it.
Got the rear end done and ready to install

Got the tires all done and ready

I'll be doing the first primer coat on the body to see how that is and working on the front bumper and lower valance panel plus a lot more to do   
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 07 Jun 2014, 4:46 pm

Mustang is looking good. Shame about the tin work.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 07 Jun 2014, 10:58 pm

Very good all around.  Things are moving along well.  Improvements looking really great.  I don't know if I'd ever wire one of those dual plug engines! One small thing I believe would help make the engines more authentic, sand or file the fan blades thinner. Folks have mentioned filing the belts thinner, but nobody does much about the thick fan blades! Thanx everyone!
Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:50 am

I have made some progress on the Keeling and Clayton dragster. The chassis is assembled and painted deep metallic blue:

The matching blue on the diff is done, so it is ready for masking for gloss black/Alcad chrome next. Intake manifold has holes for injectors and painted titanium:

All of the front axle radius rods and steering drag links are done, using RB Motion rod ends, brass bolts and polished stainless tube:

I was not happy with the look of the brake rotors, so I machined a set. Jury is still out on which ones to use:

So that is where it sits. But it may sit that way for a while ... like until the end of August. I leave a week from Saturday for 7 weeks in British Columbia, the Yukon and Alaska. I am driving up there for three different bike tour activities. So it looks like again, I will not make it in time for the end of the Community Build, but that is the way it goes. This is just the busy time of the year for me!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 10 Jun 2014, 10:32 am

Some nice progress there, your machined work is just so clean and tidy...

Have a nice time away...
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:43 am

I agree Colin...lots of superb work going on.

My pair are slooooowly moving on - with engines now sourced and started, with wiring on the to-do next list.
Diorama base needs to be started too....and I MUST make a start on the drivers.

I'm back to using my faithful laptop as my Apple Ipad keeps asking for my password every time I click onto the forum
(I have difficulty remembering what day it is!)
- so I haven't been able to reply to many of the posts....but I've been eagerly watching.

Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:05 pm

Great stuff. Pete your home made parts are awesome.

The pair of drag cars for the dio are sweet.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:15 pm

Looking great Ron but I think the stance of the white car is a bit severe!!! LOL

Back to top Go down
Old Coyote
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:37 am

Beautiful work Pete !!

Ron, the duo is looking good .......... can't wait to see the engines completed !!
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:09 pm

The Galaxie sustained heavy damage from a massive wheelie on it's last run !
....I'm trying to work out a way in which I can keep the front suspension near stock height for display,
and lifted for the diorama to appear under launch. I'll figure it out, someday, - soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Wed 11 Jun 2014, 3:04 pm

Just "block it up" and leave it loose for the diorama then glue it into place for display Ron.

coming on nicely sir.
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Wed 11 Jun 2014, 6:44 pm

....that's too easy Colin.
...it needs to be more complicated with several nights chewing it over before I'd eventually come to that conclusion.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:14 am

Good stuff! I've come to appreciate the near stock cars that were much of the "little guy" backbone of drag racing's history. Thanx also for the top of the line dragsters. It's all part of the wild mix from those days!
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 13 Jun 2014, 1:54 pm

I managed to get a couple of hours on my build yesterday...wiring the engines, almost ready to drop in.

- and a little more progress on the cars...

Whoa!! Looks like Chuck left Gene snoozin'....

It appears to be almost finished - but there is still tons to do: timing lights, advertising signs - DRIVERS !
I have even started a sequel...'Chuck and Gene - Ten years on'

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 13 Jun 2014, 2:06 pm

How cool is THAT?! Dios of actual scenes really make models into miniature reality. Thanx, I wouldn't have thought of an off-the-line scene!
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 13 Jun 2014, 4:43 pm

the dio is looking sweet.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 13 Jun 2014, 4:58 pm

Great work, Ron. Cars' stance is looking good for the dio. The blurry pic at the line is typical of the personal cameras that were in use in the 60's - real cool.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 13 Jun 2014, 5:14 pm

Got paint on the Sox&Martin Cuda.  Used white Model Master and Tamiya Mica Blue.  Just a little leak in the masking with the blue to clean up.  I chose to paint the blue stripes solid across without the white pinstripe.  I thought there would be too much leakage with a 1/32 strip of masking.  I'm planning to cut thin strips of plain white decal paper to provide the break in the blue.  In masking the white, there is now a little imprint to the paint left by the Tamiya tape.  I seem to be having this happen quite a bit lately.  Thought the laquer sat long enough, but I was wrong.

Chassis is very simple - built OOB.

Engine with headers luckily fit quite well into the chassis this time.

Thanks for looking, again.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:25 pm

They both look terrific Ron and Chuck certainly got the drop on Gene!!

Great looking paint Mike and demarcation lines sure loo sharp to me!!

there is now a little imprint to the paint left by the Tamiya tape. wrote:

By this, I assume you mean glue residue! Tamiya tape can do that if it's left on too long and in my experience, it needs to be removed as soon as possible.

Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Sat 14 Jun 2014, 12:54 am

Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Mon 16 Jun 2014, 5:39 am

Got a little done on the F/C, went to put the rear end in the chassis and this is the angle it started at

after fiddling with it for a while I got it level and installed

this is not an easy chassis to assemble, has a lot of fit issues but slowly I'm working on getting it done. Did a little on the body tin to get it sitting level on the chassis tin ( no pict. yet ) and going to fit the body tin into the body and get the front end together. Feels like this is taking me forever to get any thing done, little by little I will   
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 17 Jun 2014, 12:52 am

Started putting some decals on the Sox&Martin Cuda.  The idea of using the white decal paper to provide the break in the center stripe worked out kinda good.  The white could be a little denser though.  But when I applied the old Fred Cady red side decal and looked at it from afar, it didn't seem right.  The length was perfect and it didn't break up, but the height is short.  It should go from the top of the rear quarter down to the contour near the bottom behind the tire.  It should also not show any white around the wheelwells.  I placed it as best I could and I don't feel like stripping anything at this point to paint the red on.  It is what it is.

Thanks for looking.

Mike
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   Tue 17 Jun 2014, 1:01 am

Woulda, shoulda . . . CUDA! Fabulous paint work!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #4 60's-70's era drag subject
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next