Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sam

PostSubject: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:04 am

Ok, this is my fourth and last dirt track racer. Its also a parts box build. I started with a 1968 Dodge Dart body and a chassis from an AMT Nascar.

I sanded down and filled the hood to give it the base model look, and radius-ed the wheel wells.

Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:24 am

One of the companies (AMT? MPC?) did a pair of MoPars as local short track racers years ago and they are pricey now. Your idea is a time and money saver! The Petty Dart I think came also as part of a set with a Ford "racers' wedge" transport and there was a lawsuit over it.
Anyway, let us know when it's finished. This one will be fun!
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Tue 25 Feb 2014, 4:57 pm

Nice start Sam.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:33 pm

Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Wed 26 Feb 2014, 5:18 am

Sam, that NASCAR chassis fits like a glove. Any mods needed?
Gonna be one hell of a dirt tracker with that running gear too.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Thu 06 Mar 2014, 5:32 am

Chris,

If I remember correctly, I had to trim the drop offs in the trunk area and the rear wheel tubs, but it was spot on for wheelbase and width otherwise. I love using these old Nascar chassis for builds like this.

Ok, here are a couple more. I had to modify the cage to match up with the Dart body better, and the sportsman class uses sheeting in the interior so the driver is in a small area of the interior. The wheels are PPP.

You may notice that in these pics the upper roll cage seems to be missing. I cut it free and after getting it to this stage, modified it to fit the roofline of the Dart and then glued it on the top of the sheeting. lol

...and the paint scheme.

...and lettering

...and almost finished, more of my window screen netting.

Back to top Go down
dogfish7
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Thu 06 Mar 2014, 2:15 pm

Great job!
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Thu 06 Mar 2014, 2:30 pm

Cool looking dirt tracker, Sam.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Fri 07 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm

Perfectly fine. It's a different paint scheme than I expected. I don't remember much of the older fender bangers, but it looks fine. Maybe somebody who knows more than I do can comment on differences regarding cars for asphalt and ones for dirt. Windows or not? What type of mesh for mud? And anything else. This is an area few builders have shown on these forums so I don't know much.
Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Sat 08 Mar 2014, 5:22 am

[quote="Sam"]Chris,

If I remember correctly, I had to trim the drop offs in the trunk area and the rear wheel tubs, but it was spot on for wheelbase and width otherwise. I love using these old Nascar chassis for builds like this.

Ok, here are a couple more. I had to modify the cage to match up with the Dart body better, and the sportsman class uses sheeting in the interior so the driver is in a small area of the interior. The wheels are PPP.

[You may notice that in these pics the upper roll cage seems to be missing. I cut it free and after getting it to this stage, modified it to fit the roofline of the Dart and then glued it on the top of the sheeting. lol

Thanks Sam. It looks good too.
Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   Sun 09 Mar 2014, 6:02 am

Hi Sam,

Looking good Sir, when I saw the first painted picture I wasn't too sure, but with the decals and netting it finished off nicely...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker   

Back to top Go down

1968 Dodge Dart Sportsman class dirt tracker
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1