HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 06 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm

Well guys, I think it's all gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently, I dread sitting down at the bench with this one and that's not a good place to be. It's totaly doing my head in. Past experience in such situations has taught me to 'walk away'. So that's what I am doing.

In it's place, I'm going to do this one when it arrives:

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 06 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm

I don't blame you a bit.
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 06 Jan 2014, 9:14 pm

Al, there is a lot of rigging on the Eindecker also   
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 06 Jan 2014, 10:32 pm

Point taken John but it's nowhere near as complex as the DH-2. Nor does it have those delicate rear booms.

I found this, which seems to be an easy way to do the rigging on it:

http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/eindeckersl_1.htm

Construction is straightforward and even the large amount of rigging was easy to handle. I anchored one end of the line to the top center post and then ran it out to one hole in the wing, down through the wing, across to the other side, back up through the wing, and back to the top center post again. By repeating this loop three more times the rigging was completed much quicker than I thought it would be.

Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Tue 07 Jan 2014, 1:19 am

So, right now working on two very different models, the paint on the Bonneville Bug, and the Fokker. While paint was drying, I started cutting out the photo etch for the wings.

Here is a picture of the upper wing photo etch, showing all the ribs and ready to bend up. Also shown are the control surfaces and the leading edges:

This wing represents the wingspan of the model, and is shown next to a US dime. These parts are so tiny, and you really have to be careful not to bend anything. "What was I thinking!!"

The next picture shows the wing leading edge photo etch. Beside it is the bending fixture that came with the kit for the leading edge shape:

Tomorrow I will bend this up. I am going to have to be so careful and exact with the super glue! Still trying to figure out how to paint this one, but at least it won't use much!!!
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Tue 07 Jan 2014, 4:00 pm

Pete that thing is so tiny. LOL. Better you than me. It looks awesome though.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Wed 08 Jan 2014, 11:17 am

Pete, That ought to be some exquisite little jewel !!!

Skid, that model in the link looks pretty good !! I only have done rigging on two upper scale sailing ships, but well done rigging really makes a model.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Wed 08 Jan 2014, 3:32 pm

Got a bit done on the M1917 Ambulance.  Started some scratchbuilding of various parts, too.

The red area will be removed as rear fenders will be much different.

Using styrene to make the missing radiator shell.  Looking at the 1917 pictures, I noticed the shell was more rounded and peaked compared to a squared off 1915 version.  It will also require making some new bonnet panels.

My first attempt did not have the peaked center.  A new one was made.  The front will be sanded down until the edge looks like a small raised ridge.  

The floor will be sanded smooth and opened up for more detailed pedals and hand control.

The pieces for the passenger box are cut out.  The floor is scribed and scratched with coarse sandpaper to simulate wood.  Dimensions were calculated from a side view of an actual photo by comparing the wheel size to the model's wheels and scaling the box.

The chassis, engine and tank are assembled.  Thin yellow thread simulates the cloth covered wires of the period.

I'm using Tamiya Khaki Drab for the color.  I've never had success AB'ing acrylics, so I'll have to do some test shots first.  Luckily there's no custom gloss finish required for this model.  LOL

Thanks for looking...
Mike
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Wed 08 Jan 2014, 4:31 pm

Looking good Mike. That chassis is sweet.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:24 am

Zbuckster wrote:
Looking good Mike. That chassis is sweet.

Ditto !!
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 09 Jan 2014, 9:20 am

Great work Mike.

Good call and nice work on the rad too.

I like the idea of thread for the cloth covered plug leads. What sort did you use as it looks stiffer than normal? (Which is good)

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 09 Jan 2014, 5:43 pm

Been working at this between trying to finish up other projects. So thought I would do an update as to where I am at. The kit is very basic. Had I known I probably would have picked a different victim. Lot's of clean up and sanding to do. I got the two main parts of the engine together and painted. There are only 4 parts to the engine. the other two are intake assembly and exhaust system.

Got the seats cleaned up and painted.

Got all the body pieces cleaned up and painted after a mockup.

You can see the frame in this picture. It is in primer but requires some masking work before paint. The frame rails are Red like the body and the center part is wood. So I will paint the basic wood color then re mask and paint the res. then do some dry brush work on the wood.

Also got the fuel tank put together and the seam puttied and sanded to make it look round.

So that's where I am at on this one. I will post another update soon. All questions and comments are welcome.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 10 Jan 2014, 3:22 pm

Z, for a two-piece motor, it looks pretty good with nice detail. I love the HOT shade of red.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 10 Jan 2014, 5:07 pm

Thanks Mike. When I put the Clear Coat on the Red it got even better. I am very happy with it.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 11 Jan 2014, 6:15 pm

Did a bit more scribing, snapping and sanding on the box section.  Outside reinforcing ribs are glued on the sides (the lower ribs will come after the fenders get attached).  Ribs on the smaller piece are on the inside.  Holes are cut for the front window and small side doors (not sure of their purpose).  The two small pieces are the fronts of the side storage boxes.

The radiator is pretty complete, although the one side looks a little kicked in at the bottom.  The mesh is some old brass mesh I had in stash.

I shot the acrylic on the body and it worked out pretty good.  It's Tamiya Khaki Drab thinned with laquer thinner.  Also drilled the firewall for the coilbox connections and connected the plug wires.

Al, sorry I didn't answer your question on the thread before.  It's just some common thread that was in my mom's old sewing box - probably 60 years old.

Thanks for looking and for your comments.
Mike
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 11 Jan 2014, 6:49 pm

All are fascinating projects. Thank you each for the pix and great work, master craftsmen! I remember when I did a few WWI planes, I used thin thread, but it didn't look right. Then I came across very thin nylon fishing line which (up close) didn't have thread's fuzzy look.
One of the last models I worked on, before losing my building desires, was a 1/25th Stutz (MPC). Got the engine detailed right down to colors and various foils to simulate brass and copper, then spraying body and frame red, it came out almost pink! I finally gave up. Thanx to you all for NOT giving up!
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 13 Jan 2014, 7:03 pm

This is great work Mike and in 1:32 too!!!

Sixty year old thread!!! LOL. Have you become a rivet counter??? or just a cheapskate???   

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Tue 14 Jan 2014, 3:43 pm

Al, my wife took a liking to my mom's sewing equipment when we were first married. Before my mom passed, she gave it all to her - a sewing machine that was a Mercedes of the early 60's with all sorts of attachments and cases of supplies.

But you're correct that I am a bit of a cheapskate - just can't throw anything away.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Wed 15 Jan 2014, 2:14 am

I'm liking this vintage look, Mike !!!!
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Wed 15 Jan 2014, 11:13 am

just can't throw anything away. wrote:

LOL.... the true modellers mantra!!!

Back to top Go down
Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Wed 15 Jan 2014, 5:53 pm

Beautiful progress everybody!!!

How long this GB run?
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 16 Jan 2014, 12:58 am

Jan. 1st to March 31st. Hope this helps you out.

Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 16 Jan 2014, 3:56 am

In between painting sessions on the Bonneville Bug, I have been working on the tiny Fokker. I have cut out the wing photoetch, and am bending up the wings. Here is the top, long wing section partially folded up:

It is so small, and the parts so delicate, you have to work very slowly and carefully, and under a magnifying glass. The wing is shown with the leading edges, two are folded up, and the third is in the resin bending fixture that came with the kit. The surface of the leading edges is textured and colored, so it looks like the wood of the 1:1 pieces.

Fun and games here!!!
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 16 Jan 2014, 4:25 pm

Very tedious work indeed, Pete. But it looks like you're doing well so far. It'll be worth it in the end.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 16 Jan 2014, 5:32 pm

That is some kit Pete. Great work on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Skid's Place :: Community Builds :: Community Build WIP's-
Jump to: