Share | 

Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Tue 25 Feb 2014, 2:48 am

For a used look, a little metallic paint on spots that get wear always looks great too. Very good weathering so far with the shading!
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sun 02 Mar 2014, 5:50 pm

Time for an update again.

I got a few little things scratchbuilt to hang on the ambulance.  A medical satchel made from the dyed handkerchief affixed to double sided tape with a thread for its strap.

Hanging on the other side are a doughboy helmet made from a headlight bucket and sheet styrene.  Also a canteen from a ball of milliput with a styrene rod spout.  Both use thread for straps.

I solved the hinge problem by remaking the tailgate wider so it fits against the rear of the box instead of within its sides.  Then I used to pins bent to fit against the tailgate and inside a piece of square tubing mounted under the lower edge of the box.

The tailgate actually goes up and down fitting the stretcher handles in their proper holes.  Amazing!  LOL

I guess because of the gluing of the material to the sticks the curl of the stretcher material is upside-down.  I might try wetting them with a weight on top to see if I can induce a proper set.
All that remains is remaking the caduceus decals with additiional white pieces to go underneath for extra white color density.

Thanks for looking and your comments.  

Mike
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sun 02 Mar 2014, 6:31 pm

With the ambulance build coming to a close, I thought I'd sneak in another (hopefully quick) project.  While deciding which model to build for the last one, I found I had enough parts from an old MPC 1/32 Model T to make something.  All of it wasn't there, but it's enough for a scratchbuilding project.  The MPC looks a little smaller than the Pyro, so the 1/35 scale guns will fit better.

This one will be of the Ford Model T based Light Car Patrols that were used in the Mideast for the Battle of Palestine and to protect camps from Senussi Arab attacks.  The older LCP's were 1916 Fords with the brass radiators and squared bonnets equipped with a Vickers MG.  The later ones were the rounded black radiator with rounded bonnet (similar to my ambulance) equipped with a Lewis MG. They originated from the UK, so it will be right hand drive. 

The MG I'll use will be the Lewis MG.  I'll probably add one to the rear bed area for firepower.  There are pictures of 2 MG versions of both Vickers and Lewis.  The resin guns are made by ResiCast, come with ammo boxes open and closed and look pretty good for the price.

My research didn't find any reference to color, but there was a fellow in Australia building a replica that he painted in a kind of brown tinged yellow.  I'll use a desert yellow-brown color, unless someone has a suggestion for another WWI desert British color.

Hope I can get everything finished by the deadline.
Thanks again for looking.

Thanks for looking and your comments.  

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sun 02 Mar 2014, 6:40 pm

Another "T", cool ! Its funny about colors. I have a 1:1 WWII Ford GPW, and after doing research on it, I found that all of them were produced in OD green, BUT mine looks like the original color was desert tan. More research stated that the color could have been changed after it ended up where it was going. The article gave the example that most vehicles sent to Africa were painted desert tan. So i am thinking mine was one of those. (at least thats my story and I am sticking to it). It has been in the family since 1955.
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sun 02 Mar 2014, 7:02 pm

How about a quick photo of your Jeep Sam?
Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sun 02 Mar 2014, 7:04 pm

Mike ..... you have done a bang up job on the ambulance. All the little details are well done as is the weathering   

You need a couple of these fellas now:

They are WWII, but I'm sure you could make them pass for WWI

I found this colour photo of the Lewis MG for you:

Looking forward to the Scout Car.

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sun 02 Mar 2014, 7:18 pm

Looking forward to this one. The last one was awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 03 Mar 2014, 12:18 am

Thanks, all.

I think that guy is beyond the need for an ambulance, Al. I saw a 1/35 French WWI stretcher bearer set, but it seemed a little pricey for me. Maybe one day I might put it in a dio scene.

I appreciate the Lewis MG pic - thanks.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 06 Mar 2014, 6:14 pm

Light Car Patrol update time.

Got the body painted with Tamiya Desert Yellow.  Looking online, it seems the British cars appeared Olive drab and the Australian ones seemed much lighter - possibly the brownish yellow.  Only saw one OD color photo, so it's difficult with the B&W.  The radiator wasn't plated, so that got painted Alclad Polished Brass.  The hood, radiator, headlights and wheels aren't glued yet to facilitate later weathering/wash.  Probably a darker wash to bring out detail and an overall rubbing of whitish color to simulate heavy sun fading of the colors.

Cut the interior tub behind the door jamb like the real ones.

Back to the fun part of cutting, scribing, snapping and snipping.  Still have to create the front and rear contoured pieces which will also act as fenders and add strips to simulate wood bracing.  

Besides the guns and ammo boxes, there'll be some scratchbuilt condensers for the front fenders, equipment boxes on the running boards, and tin liquid containers (probably for water).  In reading about these, I learned that drinking water from the radiator or from those MG's that were water cooled resulted in court martial.  The condensers on the fenders collected the boil-over water and steam to be returned to the radiator.  I wasn't aware the Model T did not have a pressurized cooling system - which explains the movie scenes of old cars steaming along as they drove by.

Thanks for looking and any suggestions/comments are more than welcome.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 06 Mar 2014, 6:38 pm

Great start Mike. I'll be watching closely.

Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 07 Mar 2014, 1:05 pm

Really like yer ambulance, Mike !
Nice work !

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 10 Mar 2014, 11:45 pm

Update time again.  

Added a piece of styrene rod to the hood to cover the seamline and look like a hinge.  Also weathered it to look sun faded and worn.

Added supports and styrene strips on the bed.  Also attached the front part of the cab with CA.

The interior/bed is fitted to the chassis.  Weathering/fading for the most part is done on the body parts.  A wash was applied to the wheel spokes.  I'm contemplating changing the tire color to dirty white as I've seen in photos.  I also should have filled the two holes in the running boards which located the spare tire, since it will be mounted to the side of the bed.  It'll probably be covered with 'stuff' but it's still visible from beneath.  Made up two non-operating hinges for the back gate.

Started scratchbuilding a few doodads out of balsawood.  There's a tool box and two tin liquid cans for the running board and another small utility box in the bed.  The boxes are just painted while the tins are BMF over balsa with bits of wire on the top.

Got the ammo boxes painted and the MG's started (no pics now).  Started a mount for the spare tire.  Still need a tarp mounted on the side of the bed as well as a bench seat for the driver.  Then comes the MG mounts.  Also need 2 condensers.

BTW, decided not to waste paper for two tiny caduceus decals on the ambulance.  I'll leave one of the access doors in the open position, blocking it's view - then the one good decal will finish that model.

It's looking like I'll probably make the deadline for the two WWI builds.  

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Tue 11 Mar 2014, 12:30 am

Great stuff Mike. Your attention to detail is shining through again.   

I agree with you about the mucky white tyres. That will be a neat period touch.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:57 am

Outstanding  . The weathering is looking good already. Nice project.
Back to top Go down
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Tue 11 Mar 2014, 6:54 pm

Superior work!! Luv the changes that both personalizes it and makes it look more like the real thing. Weathering helps a lot too. Thanks for a great idea, well executed.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 13 Mar 2014, 6:23 pm

Update again:

Finished the condenser from balsawood and black wire, painted silver and given a wash.  It mounts on the front fender with the lines running forward under the hood.

Went ahead and changed the color of the tires to dirty white.  It looks a lot better.  The seat is in as are the hand levers.  Added a belt to hold the two tins.  The base of the hubs was looking too thick, so they were thinned down.  Lights are installed - BMF was used over the headlight and beer can metal punched out with a paper punch is on the side lights.  Post mount for the MG is styrene rod with a piece of .010" for a flange at the bottom.

MG's and ammo boxes are painted.  The MG's need a little more highlight and wash, though.  They still have a little bend in them - seems after I heat and straighten it, it eventually returns a bit.

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

Mike
Back to top Go down
john2308

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 13 Mar 2014, 11:26 pm

Looking really good Mike    Like your detail and weathering, great work.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 14 Mar 2014, 1:25 am

Great looking Model T. The detail and weathering is spot on.
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 14 Mar 2014, 2:22 am

Sweet !!!
Love the old 20s vehicles that were modified for practical uses !

Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 14 Mar 2014, 10:23 am

Everything looks great Mike and the accessories look terrific. Tyres are spot on.   

You are really getting the 'dusty' look down pat.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 15 Mar 2014, 2:26 pm

Hi chaps, thought i'd enter into this great thread.

Going to be scratch building a WW1 armoured car (although cheating slightly and am utilising a chassis and wheel from an old model).

Anyway will be hopefully turning some styrene sheeting, balsa and this little lot .......

Into something resembling this .......

There's quite a few varients of this style of armoured car so i have a bit of lee-way
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 15 Mar 2014, 2:42 pm

There is some good stuff in this thread, with lots of great ideas and tips.
Unfortunately, this time period fails to excite me in modelling,
so I'll just continue to watch, look and learn.
Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 15 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

Looks like an excellent project Snake.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 15 Mar 2014, 5:46 pm

Interesting project Colin.

Good luck with it.

Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:55 pm

Looking forward to your version, Snake.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next