Share | 

Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 14 Feb 2014, 4:06 pm

Very nice on cleaning up a poor mold of a wicker seat, still, it saves time and frustration trying to scratch your own one. Interesting that by WWI they already understood the tank tread and drive idea. Thanx!
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 14 Feb 2014, 7:54 pm

The ambulance is starting to look like an ambulance.  Looked in the box and saw I had two spare tires, but no wheels for them.  Went to the stash parts and found a custom wheel that fit the tire.  Cut off the bling and just used the very outer rim.  Stripped the chrome and painted.  Worked out quite well.

Also got the top over the driver's area with support struts, belts and buckles.  Also put another coat of dullcote over the whole thing to hide a little ooze of CA around the spare tire straps.

Got the red cross decals on.  This time I placed a similar sized plain white decal underneath so the dark under color didn't show through as much.  Mounted the scratchbuilt shovel to the box.  I think it still needs some sort of support straps or hooks.  And yes that's a new padlock.  When I laid the model on it's side to mount the spare tire, the original padlock mysteriously disappeared - never to be seen again!  Also added a siren - borrowed from a 1/24th Police Model T.

Thanks for the comments, again.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 14 Feb 2014, 9:07 pm

The ambulance is looking great. Excellent workmanship and a real eye for the detail.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 15 Feb 2014, 3:21 am

That is awesome !
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 15 Feb 2014, 10:27 am

Fantastic work Mike.

At first I thought the 'rim' for the spare wheel was wrong, thinking they would only carry a tire. A quick look on the web proved me wrong. You've done you research 'cos it looks spot on.

The weathering looks great too. Do you have some more details of the Tamiya product you used please?

Success always demands a greater effort.” Winston Churchill

"Success is failure turned inside out"  Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://skidsplace.forumotion.co
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 15 Feb 2014, 1:06 pm

Sweet !!!
That ambulance looking better with every update!!!!
Nice work !
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 15 Feb 2014, 3:44 pm

The weathering kit is the Tamiya Master set B which contains the white for snow. Check this:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87080weathering/

The material is a somewhat moist cake that you dip the sponge tip into. There's also a brush included, but I haven't had much success getting that to pick up much material. You can rub the sponge tip over small highlights or use the side for larger areas. It sticks pretty good and doesn't blow off when you dullcote over it. I might pick up the other three kits - they contain orange and blue for weathering exhaust pipes and different colors for rust, soot, mud etc. And I can get it 40% off at Hobby Lobby. For my first real attempt at weathering, I like how it worked.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 17 Feb 2014, 7:46 pm

I'm glad this build is slowly coming to completion.  The hinging of the tailgate didn't work out the way I liked, so I moved on to the hood.  The fit there is less than I desired and I'm still not sure I won't redo the top piece.

But I did get the runnning lights on and fashioned a tailpipe that is redirected out the side.  I'm thinking of another way to hinge the tailgate with smaller curved arms and pins that pivot underneath.  The tiny dollhouse hinges just looked grossly out of scale in thickness.

Time for   

Thanks again for looking.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 17 Feb 2014, 7:50 pm

That looks awesome, and as somebody who grew up restoring Model T's, that hood looks a lot better than some I have seen. Those old hinges would get stiff and rusty, and then those top panels would buckle and crack. I think it adds to the autheticity.

Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 17 Feb 2014, 9:59 pm

It's looking great Mike.

Leave the hood as it is, it fit's in perfectly.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Mon 17 Feb 2014, 10:29 pm

Looking better and better with each update. I am sure you will work out the remaining bugs. You have done such a good job on it so far.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Tue 18 Feb 2014, 1:15 am

Thanks for the support on the hood, guys. I'll watch my display angle on the shelf so I don't cringe. LOL
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Thu 20 Feb 2014, 11:40 pm

I'm totally and utterly Monkey Eyed Sick of the Eindecker. There have been a few issues but nothing compared to the undercarriage. The location points are tiny to non-existent, it's warped and it's broken on me three times.

I'm so frustrated, I'm afraid to touch it for fear it will hit the back wall. So it's going back in the box for the time being.

In the meantime, for the sake of the CB, I'm going to do this:

Sprue shot:

Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 21 Feb 2014, 1:09 am

Third times the charm, right Al ?

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 21 Feb 2014, 2:05 am

Ditto What Sam said. Not many pieces in this one. I like it.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 21 Feb 2014, 10:24 am

I certainly hope so Sam!!   

Main construction is complete and primed. Just need to construct the tail now and the camo and weathering can begin.

Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 21 Feb 2014, 10:36 am

Hi Al,

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you this time Sir, also, why not make a small diorama and include the two aircraft as crashed or being worked on...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mike,

The ambulance is looking superb, I also agree with everyone else the bonnet looks great, you have to remember that these were turned out as fast as possible at the time and then the conditions they worked in wasn't the best of places...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
harron68
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 21 Feb 2014, 11:45 am

Ambulance looks really great!! Hinges are always a problem. I've seen articles in mags on making your own, and they are time consuming, frustrating. Good luck. Regarding the weathering products from Tamiya, they likely are helpful. A few years ago I remember being happy to have gotten colored "chalks" of a sort used by artists. Sanding off powder and using a small paintbrush to apply then lightly sealing with flat clear spray paint was the way to go. Thanx for the info on a new way!
The tank is the look and design I think of for WWI tanks. They must have been fearsome when used in groups. The challenges with the model teach us two things. Even an easy model with fewer parts may appear easy, they can be real stinkers. Also, they are the same as more complex kits in that test fitting and altering to make everything fit right are important skills we need, along with a healthy dose of patience! Thanx for a good community build on how it was now so long ago.
Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Fri 21 Feb 2014, 3:44 pm

A group of those coming over a hill would look like a steampunk Terminator movie scene.

Hang in there, Al. This one will be good.
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 22 Feb 2014, 12:03 am

Johnag wrote:
Hi Al,

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you this time Sir, also, why not make a small diorama and include the two aircraft as crashed or being worked on...

Andy...

That's a thought for the future Andy. A good one too!!

Thanks Mike.

I'm going to try and replicate this:

Or at least as close as I can manage. I hadn't realised that tanks were used in the middle east during WWI

Mark IV Male "Kelly's Heroes", Palestinian campaign, battle of Megiddo, 21 September 1918. Around 200 Mark IV were sent by order of General Allenby to this sector to help the breaking through the Turkish lines towards Jordan. As the conditions in the desert were largely different than those in Europe, the rail and unditching beam were dismounted. The flat ground allowed better speed, but because of the scorching heat the engine overheated and crew comfort suffered.

I know the one above is a Mk IV and mine is a MkI, but hey ho, I'm not that pedantic.

Well, I thought I might as well try my hand at a little pre-shading for the first time. The closet paint I have is Khaki, which was a little dark, so rather than make up a custom mix, I first re-primed the tank in white to lighten the khaki:

Then using a .3mm nozzle, with the spray regulator removed and the paint turned down almost as far as it would go, I added some black to key areas for the pre-shading:

Last, with the .5mm nozzle I added the khaki in VERY light coats until I had the effect I wanted.

Next up will be a light coat of gloss, adding the ONE decal, painting the red and white stripes, followed by more weathering

Back to top Go down
RetiredMike
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 22 Feb 2014, 1:32 am

Skid wrote:
I hadn't realised that tanks were used in the middle east during WWI

Funny you should go there, Al.  Just as I decided on the Model T Ambulance I began reading about the use of Model T's in the Mideast in the Light Car Patrols.  Since then, I've acquired some Lewis MG's and will probably do one in 1/32.

I'll be watching to see how the preshading shows up in the end.  After reading some I still don't fully understand why it's done in some of the areas.

Good progress.

[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 22 Feb 2014, 3:06 am

The preshading works like a champ. WTG Al.
Back to top Go down
Sam

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 22 Feb 2014, 4:24 am

That looks awesome Al, and pre shading really adds to it. I know how it makes airplanes "pop".
Back to top Go down
Skid
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sat 22 Feb 2014, 7:10 pm

Thanks guys.

Mike, if you look at real battle worn aircraft and tanks, you should notive that the outside edges of panels, tend to go a slicghlty darker colour. That's what pre-shading tries to replicate.

Next was to apply the enamel wash:

After about an hour, this was then diluted and made to 'run' with white spirit:

Next was to give it a very light 'dust' using the 'Snow' in Tamiya's Weathering Master Pack B.

I also added some rust to what I presume is the exhaust, along with some 'Soot' from the same Tamiya weathering pack.

Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   Sun 23 Feb 2014, 5:34 pm

Almost there Al. I think the weather looks spot on. Not overdone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build   

Back to top Go down

Community Build #3 WWI 100th anniversary build
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next