Skid's Place

Scale Model Building Website

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BrentH

PostSubject: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 01 Dec 2013, 3:40 pm

After building the pickup and sled deck I was contacted again buy SuperClamps and asked if I could do another build for him. SuperClamps has a Russian distributor that also sells his own brand of Snowmobile trailer. The owner of the Russian company is coming to Calgary Canada for Christmas (which is a big deal because apparently Russians do not celebrate Christmas). So SuperClamps is going to give him a Christmas to remember with gifts and all. This is where in part I come in. Super Clamps has asked me to build another pickup truck and also build a replica of the Russian trailer. So this is the story behind the build.....

Here is the Snowmobile trailer...

Some miscellaneous pics so far. I dropped my camera and broke my flash :-(. Might try and change the back ground so the pictures come out better. I have a PILE of light but they aren't turning out very well.

I decided after the first base coat on the body I was going to use the decals for the emblems on the truck so had to get ride of the molded in ones....
Back to top Go down
BrentH

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 01 Dec 2013, 3:50 pm

Waiting for the paint on the body to dry I started the trailers.... One for the Russian company, Superclamps wanted one and well I wasn't going to not have one so three in total.
Basic profile cut out and a trim piece being added to give the roof something to be glued to.

All trimmed out..

Progress stages.
Back to top Go down
BrentH

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 01 Dec 2013, 3:55 pm

feels great back to be doing some scratch building again...

The trailer body lifts and the deck will also tilt.

I left the roof skin wide, this made it easier to align and will be trimmed down later..

Back to top Go down
Plastic Freak

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 01 Dec 2013, 4:08 pm

Sweet, good luck. All looks good so far.

If you're not making mistakes you're not trying new things.

Strive for excellence, and perfection will find it's way into your projects.
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 01 Dec 2013, 5:21 pm

Nice project and a great start.
Back to top Go down
http://s1155.beta.photobucket.com/
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 01 Dec 2013, 5:25 pm

Brent, congrats on the repeat business. You must feel great about that!! The trailer looks fabulous, very accurate, and I like the working features.

Your comment about scratch-building is right on, I love it too.
Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 01 Dec 2013, 6:21 pm

Hi Brent,

This is looking great so far Sir, I do like the oil bottles on the engine, I also love watching people scratch build things, it always amazes me how things come together...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
http://www.veterans-uk.info/
BrentH

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 01 Dec 2013, 8:17 pm

Thank everyone. Pete I do feel pretty good about it!! No question about that. Superglides called me today and is impressed with the build so far. He said one of his friends (Everyone knows everyone in the snowmobile comunity) is interested in a Sled deck. This company is called BullDog Decks Geesh this is getting crazy LOL.... But I am loving every minute of it!!
Thx Andy, Oil bottle were to keep the build interesting ;-) Wouldn't want to give a customer and brand new truck and it not have any oil in it right :-)
Back to top Go down
dadooronron
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Location : Sunny borders of North Yorkshire and Co.Durham (UK)

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Tue 03 Dec 2013, 4:16 pm

Nice work - reminds me to get some sheet and rod styrene !
Back to top Go down
http://www.traffic-graphics.co.uk
BrentH

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:31 am

Yep need lots of the stuff, can't make something out of nothing is what I always say :-)

We had a hell of a snow storm here, pretty much shut everything down so took full advantage of it!
I've started the frame of the trailer now. This is shown in the tilt position. The steel wire you can see locks it on the untitled position. Pull the wire out and it is able to tilt.

The jack turned out pretty cool.

Everything closed in haul position.

The front door was installed.

With functional hinge.

Shown in unload position. I installed a rod to hold in the open position.

Waiting for the wheels Ricky sent me. Once they arrive I will work on the suspension and fenders. Then both upper and lower will be married together for the final product.
Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Wed 04 Dec 2013, 4:48 am

Looking awesome Brent! I like the hinging front door and the mechanisms for the frame hinging and folding jack. Great work.

Back to top Go down
webby
Resident member
Resident member

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:50 am

Great work all round- especially the trailer.
Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:38 am

Hi Brent,

WOW, these are stunning, looking forward to seeing them fully finished now...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
Geezerman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:23 am

NICE WORK !!!!
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Wed 04 Dec 2013, 4:22 pm

Nice work Brent. Enjoying following along on this one.
Back to top Go down
Brizio
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Wed 04 Dec 2013, 6:33 pm

Beautiful job! I think the difficult part will be make the figure of the girl... :D
Back to top Go down
BrentH

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sat 07 Dec 2013, 8:50 pm

Thanks everyone. LOL Brizo, I agree :-)

Another update! I had a hard time trying to figure out how to do the fenders but stumbled across a piece of neoprene in my garage. I threw it on the lathe and worked it down to something usable. Cut sections out of it and it fit the bill. It didn't glue well so added a support piece under the fender where it meets the lower skirt. Should be OK.

I am assuming the suspension on this trailer is torsion tubes, didn't have a picture to show what it had. So torsion tubes it is...

Receiver for the truck...

The trailer would not stay tilted so had to figure out a way to prop it up yet be hidden and out of sight.

Back to top Go down
BrentH

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sat 07 Dec 2013, 8:57 pm

This is pretty much it, Needs paint. Needs the floor sheeted with wood (will use balsa wood). The Super clamps made and instated and the Super glides made and installed.
The truck is almost complete as well...

The wheels Ricky sent me were absolutely perfect!!!
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sat 07 Dec 2013, 10:10 pm

Sweet looking trailer. Looks perfect.  
Back to top Go down
BrentH

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:04 am

Thanks Buck.
Back to top Go down
Johnag

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:45 am

Hi Brent,

I think they'll be very impressed with this, looking forward to seeing the three of them finished and painted up now...

Andy...
Back to top Go down
pete s
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 08 Dec 2013, 1:12 am

Brent, the trailer looks great, very accurate. Great work here.

Back to top Go down
BrentH

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 08 Dec 2013, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the comments guys...

Once again the decals are biting me in the butt....
I've got an extra set. I'm thinking about gluing them on with clear coat??? I used decal set for an hour on them last night and this is what I woke up to.... These ones are brittle as heck...

Last edited by BrentH on Sun 08 Dec 2013, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zbuckster

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 08 Dec 2013, 4:32 pm

Clear Coat for glue is a good idea.
Back to top Go down
BrentH

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   Sun 08 Dec 2013, 7:32 pm

Do you think it will stop the "silvering". The decals are garbage.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.   

Back to top Go down

Chevy truck with Russian Snowmobile trailer.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next